Would it have been right to return this man to his former self? I think most people would have answered in the negative.
I'm really not sure that I would, Ann. Do I support bad men who do bad things? No. But, I have to ask in the examples you've given in your posts - what gives this Gilbert (whoever he is <g>) the authority to decide what this man should be? What gives him the right to judge him? Or interfere in his life in any way? Or decide whether he gets medical treatment or not?

If he's a bad man, try him in a court and if he's found guilty lock him up for as long as it takes to keep children safe from him. But from your examples, it's not even certain that he would do evil. Gilbert merely assumes that he may.

To suggest that someone should take it upon themselves to decide that he should be denied a cure for a medical condition on the basis that he's 'not a nice man' is quite appalling to me.

What you seem to be saying, in fact, is that medical treatment should be reserved solely for the good in society. I'm afraid, for me, that would lie in the area of two wrongs don't make a right.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers