I happen to like stories with the older, married Lois and Clark. Probably because I'm old. But definitely no kids. They destroy the ability of Lois and Clark to be Lois and Clark.

You don't have to 'build' the relationship, but there are still plenty of opportunities within the framework of a good story to have a lot of angst if you wish, and I think the instances of humor are even more available.

One of my favorite scenes has always been Lois' reaction to the break-in news conference that happened in Super Mann where they mention that Superman has been 'taken care of'. They weren't married yet, but for all practical purposes they were a coupled unit. Her concern for 'Superman' is heightened by the fact that he is also her fiancee Clark, and that is easy to see.

I think back on shows like Hart to Hart, McMillian and wife, and the old movie serials of The Thin Man. In these situations, the couple worked as a team to solve the problem at hand, but still had plenty of opportunities to get into trouble together, or individually.

With the relationship fairly well-established I thought the emotional component was amped up because we knew the depth of their love for each other. The highs were higher, and the lows lower. There was no need to waste time 'realizing' what they really meant to each other.

I'm not saying that the series gave us better stories and writing once they put the two together. They didn't. I think many Hollywood writers have a hard time writing a mature, loving relationship. But that doesn't mean it can't be done. In the hands of a good writer stories set in the midst of the couples life together can be just as exciting, and enjoyable as those set in the 'early days'.

The reason I don't want kids in the story (aside from the fact that I don't like children) is that as soon as a child enters into a story they, by default, become the center of the story. Even if they aren't actually featured prominantly, as parents Lois and Clark's behavior has to change. The child must become their priority. I'm not interested in stories where Lois and Clark are merely supporting players, or are constrainged from acting like I know Lois and Clark should act.

At least that's my opinion.

Tank (who also points out that the married Lois had the better haircut)