Sometimes, fans distributing shows and fanfiction encourages people to buy legal copies.

Even after reading (and writing my own) Forever Knight fan fiction, I still bought season 1 & season 2 on DVD. But that's also show that's no longer rerun, like L&C (last time I checked, anyway). They do sporadically rerun FK on the Sci-fi channel, but it often goes with several years in-between with nothing.

I don't plan on buying all of the Star Trek series because the price is prohibitive and it's frequently rerun on TV, but I may buy one or two DVDs with my all-time favorite eps, like the Trouble With Tribbles and the DS9 ep, and the Voyager Captain Proton eps.

I will probably eventually buy the L&C DVD sets as well.

Anyway, I don't think it's unethical if there is no other alternative and you're not profiting from it, or if the proceeds go to charity.

I believe there's a hero in all of us that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams. -- Aunt May, Spider-Man 2