Okay, I'm writing this in as vague a way as possible, but just on the off-chance:

s
p
o
i
l
e
r

s
p
a
c
e

Well, I finished reading OofP at about one o'clock last night and...

Did anyone else spend the first half of the book wondering when the plot was going to kick in and then suddenly think, 'Duh! This is the plot?' The pacing seemed a little 'off' somehow -- but that may well have been me.

Oddly, the death didn't do much for me. Maybe it was because that was the part that had been hyped so much, maybe it was who died, or maybe it was the fact that it happened so [not saying more]... I don't know. However, I felt that Cedric's death in Goblet actually was more powerful.

What did get to me though, was Dumbledore's revelations. Now, that / they were sad. (Can anyone here say angst? wink )

What did impress me, though, was the way JKR used all sorts of things from the first books that had seemed merely quirky at the time were used here to great effect. (I'm thinking things like the quality of teaching etc.)

Oh, and those detentions were horrible.

Overall, a good book, and one that I would recommend more than most. I mean, I read it avidly (and from front to back without looking ahead to see what was going to happen later on); it was a page turner. However, it didn't leave me thinking at the end that I had to go back and start at the beginning again (which has happened once or twice with other things). Nor did it leave me with that terrible bereft feeling of having just lost a great friend (which also happens from time to time.)

Oh, and Prisoner of Azkaban remains my favourite. smile

Chris (who, having finished the fun stuff might actually be reduced to reading articles on housing policy this weekend!)