Originally posted by Shallowford:
What if kryptonite were part of the ship as a power source and some remained inside it somewhere for Trask to find? From the construction I think an alien would be able to figure out that uranium is necessary for a nuclear submarine to operate, but the shielding and safeguards show we wouldn't want to have contact with it. The shielding would be a clue for Trask that the stuff would be harmful to a Kryptonian.

I like the idea that kryptonite was part of the ship's life support system. Shielded and in controlled doses and with no other energy source, the kryptonite kept Clark alive. Here on Earth and with an abundance of energy stored in his body the kryptonite is dangerous to Clark.
I think that theory is used in the current comics universe (at least, the kryptonite was housed in a small section that was considered the power section of the ship. They (the Superman Revenge Squad) seemed to need the SHIP to get the kryptonite. I think it was implied that the power source was the kryptonite.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)