In this episode Trask tells Ms. Sherman his theory about Kryptonite:

TRASK: I have reason to believe that there's a very important meteorite here in Smallville.

MS. SHERMAN: Meteorite? Why do you need to keep it such a secret?

TRASK: This... <showing her Superman's Space Cradle> This, Ms. Sherman, was retrieved from Smallville, Kansas 1966, not far from here. The meteorite probably landed at the same time, but it wasn't discovered until this recent storm. Follow me so far?

MS. SHERMAN: <nods>

TRASK: It's reasonable to assume that this meteorite is probably from the same planet as Superman, the planet Krypton. <picks up file> It's all right here. "Not of Earthly orgin. Periodic element 126. Emmits an extremely high band radiation that doesn't seem to affect humans. However, it's my theory, that if a Kryptonian is exposed to an piece of this material, for any length of time, the result could be lethal.
So, my question is WHY would Jason Trask think this? (I mean, any reason that doesn't point to Trask's sanity or lack thereof.) It's not known that Krypton was destroyed by anyone on Earth until Clark learns about it in "Foundling", which happens months later. Why would a meteorite journey with a spaceship on a normal mission? Is it common that rocks are pulled away from the Earth's surface whenever we shoot a rocket into space, following it around, and coming back to Earth with it when it lands? I'm guessing that's unlikely. So, WHY would Trask think this? Is it just an assumption that the meteorite came from Krypton based solely on where the meteorite was discovered and what the lab report says? Or was there more to it than that? Did B39 know more about Krypton than even Clark? <cue eerie music>

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.