Carol, I may have missed the point you were trying to make. The only thing I was trying to say is that the concept of how Clark would handle being trapped in a bad marriage has been explored. One of the reasons I like “The Other Woman” is that no matter how bad the marriage to Lana got, Clark insisted on honoring it. He remains true to himself even though he knows Lana has completely dishonored their marriage.

Terry said
Were a married Clark to offer romance to an unmarried Lois, it would be out of character for him, and it would demean him as a hero. I don't think it would demean him for him to think about it, but he could never act on it without permanently tarnishing himself.
I think this is a very important point. This goes back to the problem of what happens if you have an individual with Superman’s powers, but without his morals. Once Clark comprises his morals, what’s the next step?

It might be interesting to see a scenario where Clark starts with this single act of moral compromise, but then is drawn into a downward spiral where after a few years the Clark (and Superman) we know is gone. I would have no interest in reading it, but it is an interesting idea.

Now, an alternate (crazy?) thought… How about a crossover between LnC and Heinlein’s “The Moon is a Harsh Mistress” along these lines.
1. Clark lands on the moon.
2. He grows up in the farm tunnels. Since he never gets exposed to sunlight, his powers never manifest. He’s just another guy.
3. He grows up and joins a group marriage. (For those that haven’t read MiaHM, this is the standard form of marriage on the Moon.)
4. At some point, he comes to Earth. His powers manifest.
5. Superman appears. He meets Lois. The attraction is mutual and strong.
6. Now, he was raised in an environment where multiple spouses is normal. He has no personal moral reason to avoid pursuing a relationship with Lois. His ultimate goal would be for her to join his group marriage.

Crazy? Probably. But it would solve the problem of how Clark could be married, want to pursue a relationship with Lois, but still be basically the high-morals person we know.

Bob