Indeed, Bellarata, it was not just you!! I have seen Jonathan's name misspelled many times by many people here, and it has been so weird to me because Jonathan is a commmon name to me - and yet, before I started frequenting these boards, I wasn't even aware that "Jonathon" was an accepted or even an existing spelling! It was as if I had visited a Star Trek site, where a number of people spelled William Shatner's name as "Williom" Shatner. Actually, "Jonathon" is probably weirder to me then "Williom" would be to most Americans, because as a Swede I can't help pronouncing "Jonathon" in Swedish - well, because Jonat(h)an is a popular Swedish name, too - and in Swedish, if you spell it with an o at the end, you will have to pronounce it with an o at the end! Seriously. The o changes the pronunciation of the name in Swedish, which makes the spelling with an o even weirder to me. To me it is as if you would spell Spock as Spack, which would certainly change the pronunciation. But I know now that Jonathon is a perfectly normal name in the United States, so it has been an educating experience for me!

Since I have been a Superman fan since 1968, I know that Jonathan's name is and always has been spelled with an a, so I decided to officially point it out. But again, Bellarata, it is most certainly not only you who spell the name with an o!

By the way, I decided to google "Jonathan Kent" and "Jonathon Kent", to see which spelling brought me the greatest number of hits. Would you believe that "Jonathon Kent" generated 1,380,000 hits, but "Jonathan Kent" only 453,000? Ah, but then I checked the spelling of the names that that the hits had taken me to. When I googled "Jonathan Kent", the first twenty hits referred to sites which all spelled Jonathan with an a at the end. But when I googled "Jonathon Kent", five of the first twenty hits referred to sites which spelled Jonathan with an a at the end. Another two of the sites mentioned both spellings. One of the sites introduced a person asking for advice to find a good boy's name for his sister's child. The new parents had been thinking of Jonathon Kent - with two o's - and most of those who replied seemed to think that Jonathon was a good name and the normal spelling, better than Jonathan. But one poster asked the new parents to stay away from trendy spellings, by which he or she probably meant that "Jonathon" was the trendy new spelling and Jonathan was the "normal" one. I can certainly believe that Jonathon is trendy, since it seems to pop up everywhere in the United States these days, even though I wasn't even aware of the existence of that spelling until I found it on this site.

Ann