I remember reading that story, Iolanth. Don't think a green card makes much sense, though. With that said I found a resource that I think I should share. There's a website called DMV.org which lists EVERY state's requirements for a state ID. I decided to use the State of Virginia as the New Troy requirements for a state-issued ID.

The requirements are as follows:
A completed Driver’s License and Identification Card Application (Form DL1P).

2 documents proving your identity (e.g. U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, or current permanent resident card).

A document proving your legal presence in the U.S. (e.g. I-94, naturalization certificate, or U.S. birth certificate). If you were born in 1937 or earlier and have a valid VA driver’s license or ID card, or one that expired within the last 5 years, you do not need to prove your legal presence.

A document proving your physical VA residency (e.g. recent utility bill, VA voter registration card, or recent bank statement). Document must show your name and street address. Post office box addresses are not accepted.

Valid payment. See the “VA Identification Card Fees” section below for information on fees and payment options.
The problem I'm running into is Clark can't very well use his birth certificate without problems (nor could Lois without outing herself). And as the John Doe/Lois and Clarks episode shows, they don't have any evidence of his permanent residency. I assume they (Superman and Ultra Woman) would use the Superman Foundation address as their permanent address but the proof of ID is the problem. They need TWO to prove identity. I'm guessing the superpowers would definitely count as one but as I'm planning on having this happen post-season 4 there's still the possibility of other New Kryptonians (we know that's the case but the government's not going to just assume that's unlikely).

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)