Originally posted by Lynn S. M.:
BTW, Would you include poems as well? If so, I could add some Robert Frost, some Poe, a little Shakespeare, some Tolkien, and a handful of others, both serious and silly. (The first poem I ever made a point of memorizing was Eletelephony . IIRC, I was about six at the time.)
I would think poems should/could be included. After all, some poems can be just as entertaining and impactful as a regular story. My personal favorites lie among Shakespeare, Poe, Wordsworth, Whitman, Sylvia Plath (depressing, I know) and T.S. Eliot (uh! to die for! not to mention he's a poet who actually rhymes, which would be entertaining for the younger folks wink ).

But in line with that sort of thinking, where *would* you stop? Technically, anything could be a story, whether it's a poem, riddle, myth, fairy tale, or a historical event. Would you go so far as to include historians, like Benjamin Franklin or the writers of the Constitution? Or even free thinkers and movement leaders, such as Hobbes, or Emerson? Or are we crossing the line of what is and isn't entertainment here? confused

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain