Ugh.

A friend of a friend has hit 50K. She's 'won'.

However, I happen to know that she had 20K before the month even started and she wants to finish the novel. Well, technically, that's against the rules. To 'win' Nano, officially, it has to be all new. In the grand scheme of whether you can tell others you 'won' or not, I'm perfectly okay with working on a WiP as long as you ONLY count NEW words.

But the thing is... She did not. She counted the 20K towards her total of 50K. It's really kind of annoying me. I really wanted to beat her, fair and square, as I had nothing written on Nov. 1, but when I saw her at 48992 yesterday I knew she'd beat me.

Yes, I'll reach 50K new words before she does, but for some inexplicable reason it's rubbing me the wrong way.

Last year, I did write part of OTOH and counted it towards my total word count but NOT until AFTER I wrote nearly 80K on Unanswered Prayers [which was entirely new] - it didn't count towards my initial 50K.

All that said... I'm over 41K right now smile . Outline has prologue, 26 chapters, epilogue. I am currently about 300 words into Chapter 21 [goal for each chapter is 1800 or so]. Of course, we all know how my outlines can be way shorter than what it will eventually turn out to be [once I finally sat down and outlined the rest of OTOH, when I was on about chapter 80 or so, I had 125 chapters outlined - when I finished it was 145 [and then I added 3 more to the archive version] - so there's not telling how long it will end up being :p .

Anyway... Had to vent my frustrations wink . Never mind that this lady is retired, while I have a 2, 4, 6, 8yo and am working 3 days a week [plus schoolwork at home - though I'm way ahead on that]. Am hoping to do another miniwrite in [or go to the one with the folks from my area] on Saturday and finish this puppy up on Saturday if I don't get it done tomorrow smile .

Thanks for letting me vent! Because you know you had a choice =D.

Carol