Okay, Queenie, here’s my 2 cents worth (I still wonder why keyboards don’t have the cent mark on them - didn’t typewriters?). I’ve read this thread a couple of times, and I don’t ‘get’ it. Oh, I understand the Ayam Fain and Yeran Ugliyimbesill but not Estoo Bongaboo, but I’m assuming that’s really supposed to be Kryptonian. I didn’t quite get the whole concept. I did understand what Carol M was saying. If you want the reader to understand that another language is being spoken, perhaps you could set it off in < speech > or ~ speech ~ .

I did have to giggle a little at what Bakasi said because I remember her saying that about the postman when I still seemed to have time to be her beta. (Hangs my head in shame at being such a bad beta friend now... blush ) But I am glad to know that the postman can also bite the dog - thanks to Mellie’s explanation.

And I was already giggling because Bakasi’s post was so familiar when I read this familiar bit from Mad Dog and started giggling even more:

Clark reached for his wallet and asked the Arab taxi driver, "Bikam?"

The driver checked his taximeter and replied, "hamstashar gineh."

Clark fished a fifty egyptian pound bill and handed it to the driver. "Shokran." He said, leaving the car.
I never could get Erica to tell me what (exactly) this means - but it does add to the mystique. And I’m hoping she finishes the story that the above belongs to. wink (And I’d love to still be your beta - it just might take me longer now.)

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~