Um, no, I think those who choose not to include a warning would be called "normal" Sorry, but most of us here are grown-ups who take responsibility for our choices in reading. Authors aren't required to explain their stories advance. If they choose to, it can be seen as "extra nice" -- but that by no means implies that to leave the warning off is any kind of mean.
lol - Pam, I never said that those who don't use warnings were not "normal" (a loaded word as is "grown-up") or that they *must* put warnings on their stories. You've misunderstood my point smile At any rate you haven't referred to my argument. smile
Probably your missing my point is as much my fault for expressing myself poorly.

So I'll try again. I objected to the use of the label "extra nice" when no parallel phrase was used for those who don't use warnings. By not doing that, the phrase sounds patronizing and hence implies that we who appreciate such warnings are out of line for doing so.

I should add that I assumed Labrat was speaking in her Admin capacity when she posted rather than as an ordinary poster stating a personal opinion.

Had Labrat said:
" Authors may, if they so choose put a deathfic warning at the start of their story in order to respect the feelings of those who don't like the genre.

However, it is just that. Their choice. Some authors don't like warnings because it may spoil a surprise ending. Others just plain don't believe in them."
there would have be no imbalance. So the statement is neutral in tone.

Please notice that at no point in my post did I say that such a warning is necessary. In fact, I tried to point out that in this issue you have two different different values in play, both of which are reasonable. Neither one nor the other is more "normal" than the other. And you're right - it is the author's prerogative to decide which of those values is more important where they do conflict. I'd hoped that I felt that way was clear in post too. smile

What "floats my boat" is balance in the use of language applied to both sides:
Either use "extra nice" on the one hand as well as "extra mean" on the other, or exclude both phrases. The latter, imo, is the way to go and I'd hoped that was clear in my posts.

c.