Actually, I don't find this at all surprising. Isn't it somewhat inevitable? There is only a finite way to write a lovemaking scene after all. And given how long fanfic has been around you could probably say Silhouette Desire books match the lovemaking scenes in fanfic, just as easily. So, it seems fairly logical to me that you don't necessarily ever have had to read a modern romance novel to write a similar lovemaking scene in fanfic, terms of style.
Yes and no. Yes, sex IS universal and all the, um, body parts are going to line up the same way regardless of what genre one is writing for, but that can happen the same way in an action thriller, just as easily as a romance if all one is talking about is physically describing the scene. Personally, I think the similarities in style between romance novels and L&C fanfic aren't in the physical descriptions but in the emotional content of the interaction between two people in love, which one wouldn't necessarily find in other genres. So, no, it isn't inevitable.

Beverly
http://www.booksanctuary.com

BevBB :-)
"B. B. Medos"