I'm not a fan of romance novels generally, although I have indulged -- and even enjoyed -- a few that I have read. (My particular favourite of the limited number I have read is Thunder and Roses, by Mary-Jo Putney.)

I do have, however, a very low boredom threshold where romances are concerned. After only one or two at once, I have to seek out something completely different.

One problem is that I don't as a general rule like regency romances. I am yet to find a Georgette Heyer that I could wade through. (Sorry, all you Heyer fans out there!) Actually, I'm not much on historical novels at all, and a lot of romances put me off by the cover alone. You know the type: gaudy colours, gilt lettering, and heaving breasts in empire-line dresses. Ugh!

Another problem is that most Harlequin stuff leaves me cold. They don't have the depth I want in my reading, and some are downright badly plotted and written. Yes, there are undoubtedly some gems out there, but I don't often have the patience to go looking.

Also, has anyone else had the experience of mentioning Mills & Boon, and been subject to that condescending raised eyebrow look? In my impressionable teen-age years, that was a remarkably inhibiting factor when I tried to read one. Took me about another twenty years before I managed to pluck up the courage to buy one from the local supermarket!

Like Yvonne, I like action. However, I don't like action at the expense of characterisation, so I can get bored of thrillers pretty quickly, too.

I guess that means I like variety. smile

Chris