Whenever I answer questions about journalism, I always answer them based on practices in America since that's what I'm familiar with and that's what lois and clark would have gone through. I have taken a couple of courses on journalism and mass communication in other countries, but I admit to knowing relatively little on the subject.

As for how the process for for press credentials differs from France to America, again, I can only speak from an American standpoint, but from what I read in your post, it sounds like a whole different world. Basically, in America, you don't need to take any test or obtain any sort of special license or credentials. Anyone can write articles for any newspaper. You don't even have to have a degree in journalism, or even a degree at all in some cases. Now, granted, it's pretty hard to find a paper that will hire you if you've had no training or experience, but it *can* happen. There is no law or rule against it. When someone decides to report on a story, they just show up and start asking questions. Then they write the article and publish it. (Most of the time reporters work for a certain newspaper, but there are plenty of freelancers who will show up, write the story, then sell it to a newspaper) You don't have to be licensed or anything like that. When we refer to press credentials or press passes, we are talking about very specific passes that allow you to cover one event or person/group of persons. For instance, it would be totally impractical if everyone in the entire world was granted access to the White House press resources. There is just not enough room. So major news sources (newspapers, magazines, tv, etc) are given a set number of White House Press Passes that enable to the owner to enter the White House and attend press conferences. Who those passes are given to is up to the discretion of editors at the newsources. Traditionally they go to senior political reporters with a great deal of experience. However, the newspaper could give them to a 16 year old high school kid if they wanted to. Other events that require press passes include high profile court cases, sporting events, etc. Anything where they need to limit the number of members of the press who attend. This is always handled by whoever is hosting the event - the government does not oversee this. As for regular reporting that isn't high profile, anyone can do it. I know tons of people who wrote for their local newspapers in high school even. The vast majority of reporters do not have a degree in journalism. Like I said in my earlier post, there just aren't that many journalism schools out there. Most people who want to study journalism in college get a degree in English with a concentration in journalism. But even that certainly is not a requirement. I know tons of people who just majored in whatever they want to cover (political science, health/medicine, business, sports, etc) and then just proved they were a good writer by working their way up through college papers, etc.

Annie

Being a reporter is as much a diagnosis as a job description. ~Anna Quindlen