aHA! I knew I recognized this one.

It's Wendy's Breaking up Is Hard to Do.

And now for something a little different. All of the following comes from one story, but I've snipped out the give-away bits.

She looked up at him. "You aren't going to hurt me."

He smiled. "Not if I can help it."

"I know that about you."

"Do you know that I love you?"

She looked down. "Yes."

"Is that okay?"

She met his steady gaze then, and managed a shaky smile. "I guess it has to be." She dragged in a deep breath, fortifying herself, and blurted out what she'd known, really, for a long time. "Because I'm in love with you."

His arms came around her, and she pressed her face into his shoulder, letting him hold her. Letting him comfort her. After a long while, she looked up, and met him in a kiss.

When the kiss ended, he let go of her to fumble in his pocket. "I wasn't going to ask you this yet," he began.

<snip>

"Lois," he said formally. "I love you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with you. Will you marry me?"

<snip>

She nodded. "Takes some getting used to. But I can't imagine my life without you. Yes."

He stood there, holding the box, staring at her, his expression so droll she giggled.

And with the laughter came joy, bubbling up in a way she hadn't felt in years. "Didn't you hear me? I said yes."

"Yes?"

She nodded, and giggled again as he dropped the box, ring and all, to scoop her up and swing her around.

"Yes!" he shouted, and kissed her repeatedly, joyfully. "This is such a cliche," he said finally, pulling back to look at her. "But you've just made me the happiest man alive."

She grinned, savoring happiness. "I sure hope so."

Do you know the most surprising thing about divorce? It doesn't actually kill you, like a bullet to the heart or a head-on car wreck. It should. When someone you've promised to cherish till death do you part says, "I never loved you," it should kill you instantly.

- Under the Tuscan Sun