I've been lurking around reading L&C for about two years now, so probably many or all of my suggestions (all of which are older stories) got their share of hype at the time, but I haven't seen them mentioned often:

A Friend in Need by JL Masse. Perry puts two and two together when Superman leaves for NK

I Will Always Love You by ML Thompson. This is a great story (as all of ML's are), and I was just reminded of it by a question on Zoom's boards. A nice twist on the revelation and, as always, some wonderful moments and conversations between L&C.

That the World May Know by Rachel Smith. Clark is found wounded - yet he's been identified as Superman (in civilian clothing)...

Heliophobia by Yvonne Connell. Clark is sick and getting sicker (yes, I love the "torture-Clark" stories) and nobody knows why. I thought the reason for the illness very ingenious, and there was some wonderful Ellen dialogue.

I've read (and enjoyed!) most of the stories already listed, but there were a few that I've missed, so thery're now on my list.

Great thread idea! Thanks,
Kathy

"Our thoughts form the universe. They always matter." - Babylon 5