Clark nervously punched in the familiar numbers. She was at home grieving, with Perry, Jimmy and Henderson hovering around her like mother hens. She refused to see Superman. But he could not bear to see her so broken so lost. He had to tell her.

Lois snatched the phone up the second it rang. "Hello?"

"Lois, it's me... Clark. I'm not dead."

She gasped.

"I tried to see you before, tell you before, but you weren't alone. Lois it happened so fast. When Barrow shot me... I wish I was in tights and cape." Taking a deep breath Clark continued, "Superman's cape." A beat, then "my cape."

"Oh my god, it's you?!"

He interrupted before she could give him away. "Lois! Don't say anything. You aren't alone. Besides, I've to pretend to be *dead* to everyone else... at least until... you won't tell anyone?"

"What? No, no. Of course not. It's just that, um, well, you know..."

Clark knew she was bewildered and wanted to but could not voice her questions. "I'm so sorry. I wish I'd told you before Lois. But Superman is what I can do, Clark is who I am."

"Huh?"

"Uh, sorry! I don't know what to think. I would've been dead tonight were it not for... but I wanted you to know. I am still dead though unless... please Lois. I *have* to see you."

"Oh. Well---wait, what?"

"Meet me alone at eleven at Pier 33."

"Tonight?"

"Yes, I think if we can find Professor Hamilton, I could really come back."

"You really---tonight??"

"I hope so, but first we have to find him. And... while I'm confessing, I love you."

"Uh..."

Clark chuckled nervously. "See you later then."

"Sure!!"

"Thank you Lois! Remember now I am still *dead* and you're s'posed to be grief-stricken... bye!"

"No, wait---!" she cried, but it was too late. She grimaced and put the phone back on its hook. Really, she was overjoyed to have Clark back but, looking at the suspicious faces of her companions she had to come up with a good excuse and fast.

==============================================
Uh, I should have probably polished it more, .. wave

If she had to move heaven and Earth, perhaps come back to haunt Perry and explain the story after they'd killed her, she would do it.

Waking a Miracle by Aria