Thanks, everyone, for the comments. I'm reassured that people thought chapter four was okay. Maybe I was just in a particularly negative mood when I read it through before I posted it. Whatever the reason for my doubts, I feel much better for having had (most of) them allayed! smile

I don't want to expand on the details in this section; it is a rehash of material in EMI. I realise that most people have probably forgotten the finer nuances of that story because I finished it so long ago, but...

I am giving thought to the various suggestions, though, and there will probably be some tweaking before this gets to the archive. Nothing major, however.

Hazel said:
Y'know, this fic is dangerous, Chris - you'll have us sympathetic of lawyers before all this is over!
Well, one lawyer, anyway...

Tank said:
she's just a little too accepting about the other world Lois and Clark being married. From her internal comments I take it that CJ didn't come right out and say it, but Lois makes the connection that they are married. Why?

Also her reactions to the idea of them being 'fated' to be together seemed too calm and clincal. I would have expected more extremes in her reactions to that, both negative, and possibly positive.
I'll have to check to see exactly what CJ has told Lois here. As for her reactions, she does fret about this some more later on, but it maybe does need expanding on here. However, I should point out that this isn't an especially angsty story. Yes, there is angst in it, but don't expect to be able to wallow in it! wink

Paul said:
interesting to hear about toni taylor's fate. i guess it really wouldn't help them, but it would have been nice to compare their universe to the toasters incident, just to see how well the information lined up.
I'm saying nothing... wink

poor CJ, though, having the powers but not wanting to be a temporary superhero. not sure if i agree with him on that- might be good to set a good example, even if only for a short time- but i can definitely see him coming to that conclusion. maybe lois will be able to persuade him to put on the costume ("it's the idea of superman..."). maybe, after the late-night rescue, he'll change his mind for himself.
I'm not sure that CJ agrees with his reasoning now. As for Lois... All I'll say is that she will never say that "It's teh idea of Superman" to CJ.

Casey and Christine: so, compelling, eh? laugh

Loriel, thanks for your feedback not just on this part but on all the others, too! smile

James, Maria, Merry, Tricia, Irene and Nan, thanks also for your feedback. I hope I've addressed the various points you raised above.

laugh

Chris