[Investigate: Keeper 2nd Half]

By Blueowl

Summary: Second half of 3rd Act of AU series, Investigate. The world has embraced the Man of Steel, which is good, because the future holds more than he may be able to handle on his own.

A/N: Once again, a special thanks to Ksarasara and Chereche who helped beta this fic and acted as soundboards ^_^. And thanks to those on FOLC's Discord group who helped me clarify ideas.

A/N: Although not required, reading Acts I, II, first half of III, and Interlude is helpful, as this Superman/Clark is not like canon much at all: Investigate, Investigate: Intergang, Investigate: Time Interlude, and Investigate: Keeper Pt 1

[Chapter 1: Family]

Darlene was a volunteer at Superman's Foundation and had been for a little over a year. She helped organize the letters and gifts people from all over the world sent in. She loved working at the Foundation and of course enjoyed the moments she saw Superman, or, as he insisted, Kal.

Today, there were nineteen volunteers working alongside her, ranging in age from 17 to 68, and they included a wide range of ethnicities and backgrounds--a true melting pot of experiences and talents.

She was 48, recently retired, or at least retired from the general workforce. She and her husband had worked hard and smart, and had been blessed with opportunities they had taken with both hands.

And now she was volunteering her time helping Superman. She was so grateful and still had trouble wrapping her head around her blessed situation.

She turned back to the bag and retrieved another stack of letters.

The room was the largest on the second floor of the Foundation, stretching from the front of the building to the back and having a fat 'L' shape that also encompassed the entire back wall. The blinds were closed at the front of the building and thin columns were strategically placed throughout the room. Tables and floor mats lined the side wall, allowing for groups of volunteers to comfortably rifle through and organize mail, packages of varying sizes, and piles of supplies.

Darlene was glad she didn't have to keep track of everything. The sheer number of programs they helped support was mind boggling.

Everyone was quiet as they worked, no doubt hoping Superman would return soon and be well.

The scene of him collapsing and being hoisted up onto the bed of an old dusty truck was engrained in everyone's memory. They had never imagined Superman needing such help, and then the news of his aura -- as bizarre as that was -- instilled them with even more concern and fear.

Mav gave reports to them and the public each day, and it did sound that, wherever he was, Superman was getting better, but would it be good enough?

Was he still going to be Superman?

The door from the stairs suddenly opened and Darlene glanced over. She immediately stilled as Mav and Dr. Klein stepped out, followed by Superman!

The rest of her fellow workers gasped as soon as they spotted him and stopped what they were doing.

They all quickly took in his attire. He wasn’t wearing his uniform; instead, he was wearing what he had worn during his recovery after Nightfall. Blue jeans, tennis shoes, and a blue t-shirt bearing his family crest. So he wasn't completely well just yet.

Mav grinned as Dr. Klein stepped beside him. Superman remained just in front of the doorway, clearly hanging back.

"Morning everyone," Mav said upon seeing he had all of their attention. "As you all can see, Kal is back, but we would like to verify something before we give a public statement. Kal, do you--?" Mav turned in question to Superman.

"Of course," Kal said, straightening up but still relaxed as he spoke to them all. "To put it simply, I need to make sure my aura will not randomly extend or act outside my control. As strange as this sounds, would any of you be willing to let me test my aura around you?"

They all quickly nodded, eager to help him any way they could.

"Okay, could half of you come and stand here while the rest of you go to the far side of the room, please?" Klein asked, pointing about ten feet in front of him.

Darlene found herself in the group of ten in front of Dr. Klein. She could barely keep still, both nervous and excited.

"Okay, this should go pretty fast," Klein explained. "None of you need to do anything, just stand here. We just want to verify it's safe for Kal to be around more than just a few people again."

Tentatively, Superman approached them until he was closer to them than Dr. Klein.

"Still okay?" Dr. Klein asked.

Kal nodded, slowly relaxing. "I'm still keeping my aura close, but there's no pull or anything."

Klein smiled in relief.

"And if you completely relax?" Mav asked.

Superman slowly exhaled.

Darlene couldn't help but startle as Superman’s aura expanded out into the room, stretching out ten, fifteen feet. By the stunned expressions around her, she knew she wasn't the only one astonished.

The power within his aura was both light and dense, warm and cool. But it went beyond just physical sensation. She could feel his hesitancy quickly followed by heavy relief.

Slowly, he walked closer to them and abruptly stopped. He closed his eyes with a slight grimace before the pain appeared to ebb away.

"Okay?" Klein asked, concerned.

Superman nodded and continued forward until the second group entered his aura's range. The outer fringes of it were much thinner than the area immediately around him, and they all could feel it shifting about. It was very surreal to know this had cured several people and that it had led to his hospitalization nearly three weeks before.

With a slow breath, the Kryptonian pulled back what Darlene would describe as his essence and he smiled softly, though he did seem a little winded.

“Kal?” Klein asked, stepping into his view.

“I’ll need to apologize to the people downstairs for startling them. I should have accounted for my aura going through the floor,” he said.

Mav went to the wall phone and called down to the front desk below them and stepped away.

"How are you feeling?" Klein persisted.

"Tired, but okay. I can't extend my aura out with too many people around for too long though. It's too . . . overwhelming," he admitted. "But I'm not in danger of hurting myself anymore. Controlling it wasn't hard." He turned his focus to the volunteers. "Thank you for helping me, everyone," Superman said.

Mav returned a moment later.

"Julie is handling things downstairs. We will need to schedule a press conference soon though," Mav said.

"I was expecting we would, so that's fine," Superman said, briefly turning to Mav before smiling back at the volunteers. "Thanks again."

Darlene and the rest watched him return to the stairwell, likely to go back to his rooms until the press conference was called.

Two hours later, the Foundation shared the good news with the world. Superman was back.

O o O o O

Ellen wasn't sure what to feel or what to think. Her oldest was engaged! She hadn’t even known she had been dating!

Of course, it wasn’t like she spoke with Lois often. It had been months if she was honest - not that she blamed Lois. She hadn’t exactly been the best mother.

She paid the taxi driver before looking up at Lois’ apartment.

It was freezing out, but that was to be expected for Christmas. Colorful lights were hanging throughout the city, coupled with cheery decorations and holiday decorum. Thanks to the cloudy sky, the Christmas lights were easily seen, though she had to question why they were on before the evening.

She entered the building after stomping the snow from her boots and went up in the elevator. Before too long, she was outside her daughter's front door. She really hoped Sam hadn't already arrived. Taking a quick breath, she knocked.

Lois opened the door a few seconds later.

"Hi, Mother," she greeted.

They exchanged somewhat awkward hugs, but she supposed that might have been because she had just spotted who could only be Lois’ fiance and his parents in the living room.

“How was the flight? Not too long, I hope?" Lois asked as Ellen handed her her wrapped Christmas gift.

The gift wasn't grand, but Ellen felt Lois would appreciate it. Lois accepted it with a smile.

"It was fine, better than I had expected. Granted, it helps to not go with the cheapest airline who nickel and dime you on everything," Ellen complained before turning her eyes back to the man behind Lois.

She hadn't heard a great deal about him yet, but, from what Lucy had revealed, she was neutral toward him - though she was a little leery about his occupation. A private investigator? What sort of things did he investigate? What kind of people hired him? How much time did he devote to his work? How devoted would he be to Lois? She supposed things could be worse. He could be a doctor.

"It does," Lois agreed, oblivious to Ellen's thoughts before stepping back. "Well, this is Clark Kent and his parents: Martha and Jonathan. Clark, Martha, Jonathan, this is my mom, Ellen," she introduced.

"Glad to meet you, Ma'am," Clark greeted, holding out his hand.

He was definitely good looking and well kept. Point to him for that.

"Please, just Ellen. No need to be so formal," she gently corrected, shaking his hand before moving on to greet Martha and Jonathan.

They seemed to be very simple folk and quickly agreed to call her Ellen as long as first names went all around.

"Well, Daddy should be here soon," Lois said, happy things were continuing smoothly as she put Ellen's gift up to open after dinner.

"Then I best check on the turkey. Jonathan, could you give me a hand?" Martha asked, going to the kitchen.

“Of course,” he said.

Jonathan followed behind his wife and Ellen got the feeling they were giving her an opportunity to be alone with Lois and their son.

Clark went behind Lois and put his hands on her shoulders. Lois gently took hold of one of his arms and relaxed against him.

Ellen's eyes were drawn to the ring on Lois' left hand.

The diamond wasn’t massive but the ring as a whole was quite intricate. The sparkling round diamond was met by waves of white gold at the center. A sweep of sparkling round diamonds crosses with a curve of yellow gold along the band.

She had never seen such a complicated ring design. Lois noticed where her gaze was and beamed as she held it out for her to take a better look.

“It’s gorgeous,” Ellen complimented, frankly impressed.

Her opinion of Clark instantly went up a smidge, if only because she believed his choice of ring matched Lois' personality remarkably well.

She looked back at Lois and was struck by how, well, different she looked. Not that her appearance had changed all that much, she just seemed . . . happier.

That was the only way she could describe it.

Unfortunately, before they could really begin talking, the doorbell rang.

Lois quickly answered it, opening the door wide for Sam.

"Hi, Daddy," she greeted.

"Hi, princess!" he returned.

Ellen immediately wanted to throw up. Lois was almost 30 and they're still doing that exchange?

"Ellen," Sam greeted neutrally when he looked at his former spouse.

"Sam," she said blandly.

Awkwardly, Lois got Sam's attention and introduced him to Clark.

Sam instantly perked up. "You wouldn't be, by chance, P.I. Kent, would you?"

Clark nodded as they shook hands. "I am. Why do you ask?"

"One of my patients told me about how you found her son and saved his life. Very impressive," he praised.

"Thanks," Clark said.

"How many missing persons cases have you solved?" Sam asked curiously as they moved into Lois' living room and sat down.

Lois and Clark took the couch while Ellen and Sam sat in the chairs furthest from one another.

"Three hundred and eight," he answered.

Ellen and Sam both blinked.

"You keep track that closely?" Sam asked.

"Yes. Wouldn't you?" Clark asked, legitimately confused.

"Hm, I suppose I might," Sam said thoughtfully before looking at Lois. "And from your articles I understand you've been as busy as always, Lois."

Lois smiled shyly. "Yeah."

Clark gave Lois' shoulder a squeeze. "She's been nominated for a Pulitzer for covering Luthor's downfall."

"A Pulitzer?" Ellen asked. She remembered hearing that term before but couldn't recall specifics. "That's an important award, right?"

Clark blinked, and Ellen had a feeling she had baffled him for some reason. Lois looked down and Ellen instantly knew she had said something wrong.

"It's the most prestigious journalism award a journalist can receive," Sam answered. "Only the best can earn them."

Ellen caught Lois' eyes widen with surprise before she straightened in pride at her father's words. Ellen inwardly grumbled. Of course Sam would do everything possible to butter Lois up and try to impress her fiance. Two could play at that game.

“Well, then I'm sure Lois will win the award," she assured. "She is the best, after all."

Lois smiled softly, and Ellen wished she had given her daughter more compliments when she was a child. Maybe things would be a little better now.

"Of course she is," Sam heartedly agreed. "She was the first to interview Superman, and had actually figured out he wasn't some supernatural being. Just Super."

Lois grinned at that, and Ellen stewed as she ignored Sam's chuckle.

"Lois, I'm curious. You're one of Superman's friends, right?" Sam continued.

Ellen's curiosity was the only reason she didn't ignore his inquiry.

"Well, yeah. We're friends," she said, her eyes avoiding Clark. Ellen wondered what that was about. Jealousy from Clark?

"I know the Foundation has said he's fully recovered, and I understand the medical community is hesitantly optimistic about what his aura might bring about too, but could you tell me how he feels about it?" Sam asked.

Ellen suddenly wished she had read up more on the Man of Steel. Hopefully being a nurse would be enough to follow the conversation.

Lois glanced at Clark before looking back at them.

"Well, I haven't really point blank asked him, but I think he's happy about developing it. If the need arises, and he's close enough, he can protect people from harm," she said.

"And heal them if they are injured," Sam put in. "Though I've heard that is only to be done in severe circumstances?"

"That's right, and he hasn't healed anyone since fully recovering. Healing takes a lot out of him, and while he hasn't outright said so, I know it's painful to him," Lois said. "There's also the concern some doctors have on whether or not there may be long term side effects for people he heals. His aura can completely heal someone who just had open heart surgery. That's no small change to the body," Lois said, referring to one article Ellen had managed to read – only because she was very curious about the medical implications due to being a former nurse.

"Indeed," Sam agreed. "The benefits have to be worth the risks."

"So what's he like?" Ellen asked. "I mean, is he really like how he is on TV?"

Lois smirked, for some reason extremely amused. "A lot of people ask me that. Yes, he is really that upfront and honest, as well as down to Earth. He's one of the most laid back people I've ever met. He can still get pretty serious though."

"Oh yeah. I remember what he had said if anyone threatens his adopted family," Sam commented.

"No doubt a devoted family man. I wish more men were like him," Ellen said, not bothering to hide her not-so-subtle dig at Sam.

Sam ignored her as Clark's parents returned.

"Dinner is ready!" Martha announced, coming in with Jonathan before Clark smoothly introduced them to Sam.

Soon after, they gathered around the dinner table, nearly all set up for them.

Lois and Clark helped Martha with the last-second utensils and side dishes and then they were all seated.

Ellen was impressed and once again wondered at how much Lois had, well, not exactly changed, but grown.

She was so much more at ease and confident--not the forced bravado Ellen often saw from her eldest. This was legitimate.

And her apartment actually looked lived in and enjoyed. She could not remember ever seeing a Christmas tree up in her daughter's apartment. Granted, she didn't often visit her during Christmas like this.

She looked at Clark and glanced at his parents as the meal started.

Lois could do worse.

Conversation resumed and the topics ranged from Lois' work to the Kent farm in Smallville. Clark, the poor man, even had to endure his mother retelling a story from his childhood.

"You made a gazebo for the praying mantis?" Sam asked Jonathan, nearly in tears from laughing.

"Well, yeah. It was an impressive bug," Jonathan commented, which only made them laugh harder.

Ellen had to admit, it was hilarious.

"You know, that reminds me of when Lois and her sister, Lucy, were younger," Sam said. "I got them a Lego castle set and they must have worked on it all night – a school night, I might add," he said with a chuckle. "Lois nearly fell asleep in her cereal, and Lucy I think did."

"A Lego set? It was made of random Legos, popsicle sticks, and pompoms," Ellen corrected, pretty sure she knew what Sam was trying to recall, but, as usual, he was colluding it with his own spin. "And it was a city for their dolls."

"City for their dolls? Are you sure? They were a bit old for that then, no?" he asked.

"I suppose since you were hardly around you wouldn't remember how long they played with dolls," Ellen stated.

"I was working. I'm sorry I had long hours, but–"

"Working? Is that what they call it?" Ellen asked sarcastically.

"Oh, like you would know! It’s not like you ever looked up from the bottle long enough to care or even notice!” Sam declared, his voice rising a smidge.

“Well, if I was drinking too much, it was because you were getting on with floozy–”

Enough.

The word was so solid it might as well have hit her upside the head.

She and Sam turned toward the voice.

Clark, the quiet man who they all had just been poking fun at about having a pet bug as a child, was standing up, and Ellen suddenly recalled Lucy telling her that he had been some sort of important military officer.

It was also then that Ellen realized she was on her feet and that Sam was too. And then there was the table. A few of the glasses had toppled over and their contents were all over the tablecloth and dripping onto the floor. She honestly couldn’t say who had rocked, maybe even shoved, the table, but she knew it had either been her or Sam.

She glanced at Lois, who was still seated and had her face in her hands. Jonathan and Martha were sitting straight in their seats, looking appalled.

“You know, I’ve seen a lot during my travels, but it’s rare for me to be astonished,” Clark said, his voice so crisp she had no doubt he had years of experience in practicing genuine and well-deserved authority. “I can tell you are both good people underneath it all, but this long-standing hurt that you have inflicted on one another has clearly poisoned you to such an extent you are oblivious to what it does to those around you, particularly those you should care about above all others,” he said, briefly glancing at Lois who had yet to look up. “So, as much as it pains me to say, in light of . . . all this–" he motioned to the table and general atmosphere, "–I think it would be best for you both to head out. We will make other arrangements to visit you separately once you’ve calmed down and properly apologized to Lois. As for our wedding, Lois and I will talk and let you know what we decide. I hope you both address the wounds you have."

He stepped away from the table and waited for them to follow him.

Ellen silently slid around her chair, never having felt so ashamed or embarrassed in her life. With a muffled apology, she grabbed her things, her gift from Lois, and left in front of Sam. She took the stairs while he wordlessly took the elevator.

O o O o O

Comments

Last edited by Blueowl; 10/11/22 10:00 PM.