Page 1 of 2 1 2
#22609 06/21/05 05:09 AM
A
Aria Offline OP
Beat Reporter
OP Offline
Beat Reporter
A
Oooooooooh. Intriguing. I especially like the POV you used, and the use of sound to establish such unbreaking tension. And, I loved how you explained Clark's reasoning for taking back his declaration of love. It seems a lot lot LOT less lunkheaded given just this little extra snippet of his life you've given us.

I also gather from your opening notes that you're looking for specific comments about the style you chose, so let me see. I didn't read your opening notes until I had read the story once, so take these comments with that in mind.

1. Your choice of POV made things very personal and very real for the reader. You can feel and understand exactly what Clark is going through. It's also easy to empathize with *Lois* through Clark's description of her and thoughts about her. First person is very unusual for fanfics, so this story stuck out a lot, and you wrote it quite artfully.

2. Delaying the use of names really ramped up the tension. It gives you a sure, but not 100% sure sense of who is being discussed. And I'm happy that you didn't rely on some strange twist to go against expectation.

3. Description - lovely. You combine 'telling' with a lot of 'showing' so that we're not overloaded on either. For instance here:

She was nervous.

She shifted on her feet and slung her bag over her shoulder. The rasping of material echoed in my ears around the silence that suddenly surrounded us.

~thmpthmpthmpthmpthmp~
Great passage. You tell us simple things, and then you go into paragraphs of detail to explain how those observations were made.

4. Sound. Exceptional way to tighten things up. A lot of authors like to overlook senses other than sight. Smell, touch, taste, and sound are all equally important. You actually might want to consider finding ways to describe the former three as well as you do the last one, especially since you chose such a personal POV. All we get is what Clark senses. So make use of all five. Even despite this, however, you do very well at giving us a world, not just an image.

5. You used a lot of inferrence here. I had to grab at what I knew of the series to understand exactly what was going on. I LOVE it when I'm not told precisely what happened. In this case, the puzzle pieces fit together well, and I figured out that this was Clark after the cage experience in HOL, hurt, and worrying over Lois, who has just found out the truth about Lex. Letting the readers figure things out on their own, provided that the clues aren't too obtuse, is a great, engaging way to write things. And you've done this.

6. Repetition. Very good for emphasis. In some cases it worked beautifully. Like here:

‘Please.’ I smiled. ‘Please don’t leave.’

‘Please talk to me.’

‘Please trust me.’

~thmpthmpthmpth-thmp~

Her heart was racing.

‘Please.’
Simple and poignant.

Here, it didn't quite work:

I watched her storm down the street until her figure blurred and faded.

Until she wasn’t there. Until she blurred into nothing.

Nothing more than an echo in my life.
I think because it's a lot less of the 'drumbeat' repetition, if you get my meaning. You could probably condense this so she only blurs once, and then repeat the nothing twice to associate it with your echo theme.

Overall, a wonderful piece.

Please write more, David. This was a great little vignette. Maybe you could try a long sequel to it. *nudge*

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And the wisdom to know the difference.
#22610 06/21/05 06:02 AM
A
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
A
That was wonderful! You really bring the reader inside Clark's world. Very lovely.

See ya,
AnnaBtG. (waiting eagerly for David to become a writer, so that she sees such gems from him more often!)

What we've got here is failure to communicate...
#22611 06/21/05 06:03 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Nice, for all the reasons Diane stated... kinda sad, but well-done. Although the idea of Lois pacing on Clark's porch day after day was kinda funny, too <g> You did a good job showing how his hopes have gotten dimmer and dimmer with every day that she just leaves.

But then she just leaves... frown

A long sequel might be good, although it's hard to keep up the first-person POV over longer stretches of story, in my experience.

Anyway, good work, and you definitely *are* a writer.

PJ

"You told me you weren't like other men," she said, shaking her head at him when the storm of laughter had passed.
He grinned at her - a goofy, Clark Kent kind of a grin. "I have a gift for understatement."
"You can say that again," she told him.
"I have a...."
"Oh, shut up."

--Stardust, Caroline K
#22612 06/21/05 07:24 AM
Columnist
Columnist
You know I Love this story, D! And yes you are very much a writer. Hate to burst your bubble. Keep up the good work thumbsup

Rach laugh

Me: what are you looking at *Snatches pic* OMFG! Dean smeared in peanut butter?! WTF?!
Sara: LMAO it was chocolate!! smeared in chocolate!
Me: LMFAO chocolate smeared in chocolate!
Sara: LMAO the *chocolate* isn't smeared in chocolate!
Me: that's the way i read it. was trying to picture chocolate smeared in chocolate
Sara: ROTFLMAO
#22613 06/21/05 07:58 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Oh, wow! David, I am so envious! This is a wonderful little piece - so poignant, so full of what-might-have-been. It almost brought a lump to my throat. Just beautiful, and sad, and vivid and everything else I can think of. goofy )

Just a fly-by! *waves*
#22614 06/21/05 08:58 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Okay, so here is a bit of gut-reaction, not well thought out, feedback.

This is great.

I love the way you get inside Clark's head. Without banging us over the head with it, we know that Clark is still recovering from being in the cage. We know that he's waiting for Lois to make the first move, though whether that is because he's too proud / angry / upset to do it for himself, or whether he is giving her time and space is not clear to me. Quite honestly, I expect it is a bit of everything. Maybe Clark doesn't know, himself.

I love the details you give about what Clark can hear. I love that Lois wasn't wearing the boots he thought she would be; Clark can make mistakes. He's obviously still healing. I love hearing her heart thump.

This is poignant. And it makes perfect sense of what comes next -- Clark's retraction.

Yep, this is great.

Chris

#22615 06/21/05 10:40 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I want to say something, but words are just flying out of my head left and right. David, this was fantastic. Sequel, maybe? laugh

Jen

"Meg...who let you back in the house?" -Family Guy
#22616 06/21/05 10:54 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Hi,

Interesting. confused

MAF blush

Maria D. Ferdez.
---
Don't like Luthor, unfinished, untitled and crossover story, and people that promises and don't deliver. I'm getting choosy with age.
MAF
#22617 06/21/05 11:47 AM
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
Dave!!!!!!!!!! You posted it!!!!!!!!!! goofy ]

Death: Easy, Bill. You'll give yourself a heart attack and ruin my vacation.

Meet Joe Black
#22618 06/21/05 12:23 PM
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Dang! People got to say poignant before me. <g>

And it was! And having read Chris's fdk, I'd agree and add that it was nicely subtle too. Really loved this, David. The experimentation certainly worked for me. There was a rhythm to the narrative - accentuated by the way you depicted the ball being bounced (and great prop there for his mood and of time passing - excellently worked in) that flowed very naturally and easily.

The sparseness of the text really worked beautifully within the context, too.

Oh, yes, thought the title was perfect.

Write more. Post more. You can use any style you like. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#22619 06/21/05 03:05 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Loved it, David. Lots of mood and atmosphere conveyed, without once resorting to just telling us how he felt.

Yvonne smile

#22620 06/21/05 03:51 PM
Top Banana
Top Banana
I love it, David! thumbsup
I like the original style!

simona smile

#22621 06/21/05 04:20 PM
Columnist
Columnist
I love it
thumbsup

Karla

#22622 06/21/05 04:55 PM
Merriwether
Merriwether
Hehe. That was great. I'm hyper at the moment and it actually made me sad.

I liked the POV (he I know one of those snazzy 'acks').

I've converted to lurk-ism... hopefully only temporary.
#22623 06/21/05 05:43 PM
D
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
D
Uh, wow.

This was a wonderful thing to wake up to this morning, thank you all for the fdk smile

And thank you for pointing out the blurred part. The repition was unintentional in that part, maybe done out of habbit from the earlier parts wink
It was bothering me but I couldn't pin down why. I've edited it now, so thank you smile

I'm glad everyone seemed to like it, I was a little nervous about some parts, which nobody seemed to pick up on (phew wink ).

David (who wonders if we're running so low on new authors this year Wendy's that desperate :p )

'I just kind of died for you;
You just kind of stared at me'
- Aurora, Foo Fighters
#22624 06/22/05 02:05 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Oh WOW!!! This was fantastic, David! Really, really nicely done, extremely atmospheric, and I could feel Clark's hope and despair throughout. Wow! notworthy

Kaethel smile

- I'm your partner. I'm your friend.
- Is that what we are?
- Oh, you know what? I don't know what we are. We kiss and then we never talk about it. We nearly die frozen in each other's arms, but we never talk about it, so no, I got no clue what we are.

~ Rick Castle and Kate Beckett ~ Knockout ~
#22625 06/22/05 02:35 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Well done and ditto to what they all said. I agree with Wendy I would like to see a companion to this with Lois's point of view. Laura

Clark: “If we can be born in an instant, and die in an instant, why can’t we fall in love in an instant?”

Caroline's "Stardust"
#22626 06/22/05 02:48 AM
T
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
T
David

WOW! smile1 I look forward to your next one.

Tricia cool

#22627 06/22/05 05:56 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Very nice!

~Liz

Lois: Can I go?
Clark: No.
Lois: Oh come on, Clark, why do we go through this? We both know I’m going to go.
Clark: Then why do you ask?
Lois: I’m trying to be nice.
#22628 06/22/05 06:06 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I was a little nervous about some parts, which nobody seemed to pick up on (phew [Wink]
ROTFL! Welcome to the world of posting fanfic on the mbs, David! goofy You and most every other author posting a story, I suspect. wink

LabRat smile (who's felt that 'phew' moment quite a lot herself laugh )

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard