Print Thread
#221170 05/26/09 08:51 AM
LabRat Offline OP
Boards Chief Administrator Emeritus
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
My Dollhouse question prompts me to ask if anyone else is enjoying this new reworking of Knight Rider as much as I am. (Bearing in mind that I've only seen two episodes so far...)

I was fairly lukewarm about the original and I cannot stand David Hasslehoff, but to my great surprise I'm thoroughly enjoying this new show.

The two leads are easy on the eye, the supporting cast of techs are fun and hip and I love the new KITT. I especially like the way he changes into something completely different at top speed.

It's not Emmy material, but it's good escapist fun for an hour each week.

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#221171 05/26/09 10:33 AM
L
Blogger
Blogger
L
I love Knight Rider. When I found out that they were remaking it, I was so excited.

Too bad the show got axed just when it started to get interesting. wallbash splat

"A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get it's pants on." --Sir Winston Churchill
#221172 05/26/09 12:48 PM
T
Merriwether
Merriwether
T
When the car is the most interesting character on the show, you know you have trouble.

No surprise that it didn't survive. Maybe they needed to find a way to make it a reality show.

Tank (who prays that this affectation with reality programs will die off soon so he can watch more television again)

#221173 05/26/09 03:05 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
Enjoy the early episodes LabRat, because the later ones devolved into ridiculous plots to try to boost ratings. They tinkered with it so much that they pretty much killed any enjoyment.
cool
Artemis
who agrees with Tank on reality shows. Of course, that gives us more time on the boards smile

History is easy once you've lived it. - Duncan MacLeod
Writing history is easy once you've lived it. - Artemis
#221174 05/26/09 08:50 PM
LabRat Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I think that one season will probably do it for me, anyway. laugh

Last night's episode did suffer greatly from Charlie's Angels Syndrome. In which, a large chunk of the plot was contrived solely to provide an excuse for the female lead to get her kit off and wander around in as skimpy an outfit as possible.

Note to producers: when you demean your female lead in this fashion and surround her with a host of other actresses being demeaned similarly, having her then spout feminist talk as she slinks around in a very small bikini, in an attempt to offset this, really doesn't wash.

The rest of it was okay, though. laugh

LabRat smile

Athos: If you'd told us what you were doing, we might have been able to plan this properly.
Aramis: Yes, sorry.
Athos: No, no, by all means, let's keep things suicidal.

The Musketeers
#221175 05/28/09 06:21 PM
Hack from Nowheresville
Hack from Nowheresville
I loved the original (hated the Hoff)... and I was pretty excited about it being reworked.

I can deal with a different car, even a different KITT voice (loved the original black pontiac trans am and William Daniels).. and the new Michael is much easier on the eyes, but they didn't get the storyline right IMHO.

I think there is huge potential for a show about a man and his car making a difference, with and without a huge team behind it... but this version of KR didn't quite pull it off.

There is also a lot of stuff for original fans seemingly strategically placed into the show to try and keep them on board, when in actual fact, most of us were groaning and wincing. Battlestar Galactica (also a Glen Larson original) proved you can re-image a show and still offer up a successful franchise if it is done right.

They even convinced the original voice of CARR to come back (some of you may know him as Optimus Prime or Eeyore now-a-days)... but that episode was so.. so... so... non-eventful for want of a better word.

I think the last 2 eps were finally getting it back on track in the spirit of the original, but without someone like Glen Larson there to help make it right... I don't think it was ever going to succeed.

For some reason every time they try and redo KR, the forget the original concept and it fails... miserably.

The car is nice though. I could happily drive around in one of those. smile

"He's my best friend, best of all best friends
Do you have a best friend too
It tickles in my tummy
He's so Yummy Yummy
Hey you should get a best friend too" - Toy Box

Moderated by  KSaraSara 

Link Copied to Clipboard