Let me prefice this FDK by saying that I haven't yet see that S5 episode of Smallville as I'm still waiting for the disc from Netflix that probably has it on it.

Clark is so sweet to do this for the children of Metropolis. I'm a bit surprised he would do so as publically as this, or that a fairly synical public <as a world without Santa would be>, who has never heard of Santa Claus would be so willing for such a person to enter their house and leave behind gifts <<especially during Christmas 2001!>>

This story leaves me with many questions. Is this supposed to be canon Clark, a Clark who is publically Superman, or is this a Clark who is only a private "blury" type of Superman? <<I've seen enough previews of later Smallville seasons to know of "The Blur".>>

If the populous of Metropolis (and the world) know about Superman, and not about Santa, I cannot see how Clark doing this would make such beliefs come about. Wouldn't everyone just believe it was Superman, not Santa? I also don't understand how the story would be able to travel into the past to create the story of St Nicholas. I could see parents and grandparents telling their children and grandchildren that Santa had been around when they were children, but I don't understand it would actually produce a rich physical history of him existing at a time when he did not.

Now, if it were a non-public Superman, and Clark did this to solidify the story of Santa <<which already exists and was starting to be forgotten or disbelieved by the younger generations in an internet world>> by giving of himself in this way, and thereby create Utopia, because this tradition is continued by his descendants... clap That would explain why the mayor <<who btw sounds just like the Lex of Smallville>> announces "Santa's" arrival.

Plus, it gives me an extra dizzy I like the story, but I feel like I'm missing a context (background) in which this story is set. Almost as if I've been dropped into this magical world and then taken out again <<Thank you Tempus>>. It has left me with more questions than answers.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.