Lynn, I apologize for not giving feedback until now, but there were aspects of the story that brought back some painful memories of my childhood. I'm an Aspergers sufferer/patient/recipient/whatever, and when I get too tired or depressed I often flash back on those days. Then there are the times, like a few days ago at my doctor's office, when I can give someone some encouragement.

My diagnosis the other day was a kidney infection, and as I was checking out I noticed the lady behind the counter (not a nurse) reading a psychology book. I made a comment to show my interest, and she said that she was trying to learn more about autism because her daughter and son-in-law were in denial about their pre-teen son's diagnosis. There was no one behind me, so I asked for more details and she said it was Aspergers but she wasn't convinced. I told her I was too, and as I began to list some of the symptoms I showed as a child, every time her eyes got bigger and she nodded more energetically. As I left, I told her that if that was indeed the diagnosis, he would never get over it, but he would eventually learn to deal with it.

I made it clear that I was not a doctor and certainly wasn't a psychologist and there was no way I could make any kind of determination based on her observations, no matter how valid they might be. As I finally left, her face was brighter and she seemed to be in a better mood. Maybe seeing someone with that diagnosis (I hate the term "disorder" to be applied to Aspergers) who could function in adult society.

I didn't tell her that I still mis-read social situations at times and make some pretty horrible mistakes, that I'm still the world's worst party guest because I can't focus on anything due to the massive amount of unfocused sensory input, that I am still unable to make small talk with people without a definite subject on the table, or that when my parents sent me to the school psychologist around age seven (this was in the 1960's) I had no idea why, nor did I know what was going on. The diagnosis was not recognized at the time, and there are still doctors who don't accept it and want to label us as "high functioning" autistics.

I applaud all of the parents who work so very hard to help their autistic children. I did not get that support as a child, so I did some serious damage to my life before I found out that there was actually a medical reason I am the way I am and that I'm not really a damaged person.

Oh, and he claims he's not AS anymore - but he's never watched himself when he's frustrated and tired and growling at things.
Are you sure you weren't watching me instead?

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing