Wow. Very powerful and moving story. I believe I remember having a conversation with you back when you wrote "Echolalia" a few months ago-- and all around I think you handled this perfectly. Lois and Clark's reactions to this were appropriate. I actually have a cousin with autism (who happens to be my same age) but I'm not all that familiar with him since they moved back east somewhere a long time ago and severed all contact with my family (let's just say there was abuse involved on multiple levels and leave it at that). My family (particularly on that side) has a long history of mental health issues, but there were definitely some "environmental" issues involved as well. I don't know that there is one direct cause of Autism (I think not). But from what I remember of my cousin, and what you've written here, it's a very close match. He was always happy and social when we were younger, loved music, etc. (much more likable than his older brother) and then he just started to change, and began struggling more with a lot of things. I wish I knew more of what happened to him, but I haven't seen him in probably twelve years at least. But your story at least gives me some hope that he's potentially made some progress and could be leading a happier life now.

Sorry if I got a little off topic. Once again, I'd like to emphasize how well done this piece was. Excellent job, Lynn. Thank you for sharing something that I know is so intensely personal with all of us here. We are grateful.

Nothing spoils a good story like the arrival of an eye witness.
--Mark Twain