A taste of Chapter 10, Part 4...

Clark had spent all week trying to figure out the perfect birthday gift for his wife. He had to make up for blowing it the previous year. And it had to be better than the other Clark’s gift of his Mom’s wedding ring. Lois had also tried to tell him once what the other Clark had gotten the other Lois for Christmas last year, but he hadn’t wanted to listen. Argh. That man must be the best gift giver ever.

He ground his teeth together. How he hated competing against that man for Lois’s affections. Clark knew that was not what he was doing. He had Lois’s love. She had told him so. Over and over and over, again. Even if it was just one percent of her heart that the other Clark claimed, it was still too much. Damn it! It felt like he was competing for his wife’s love. If he hadn’t messed up so badly last year…

Clark called his mom for advice, under the guise of telling her they were coming out that weekend. “Mom, what can I get the most perfect woman in the world for her birthday, when I screwed up and forgot her birthday last year?”

“Humility.”

“Very funny, Mom,” he groaned.

“Lois is not perfect, Clark. She’s human. All she wants is your love. Give her that and she’ll be happy.”

Thank you, Mom, for the non-specific extremely vague advice. “She’s mad at me,” he admitted.

“Uh-oh. What did you do, now?” his mom asked. Why was it always his fault when Lois was mad?

“That’s the thing, Mom. I don’t know.” Clark shook his head. “I don’t know.”

It all started after their conversation about Lois’s birthday from the previous year. He thought that they had forgiven each other and moved on. Apparently not.
Please post comments here. Thank you.

Missing Lois - TOC

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.