A taste of Chapter 9, Part 8...

Clark went to Lois’s favorite boulangerie in Paris and bought her some croissants for breakfast. He could still hear her words echoing in his head, You haven’t asked me one question about our daughter. Not one. She knew more about Lara than anyone and he hadn’t asked her one question about her pregnancy or the delivery or anything. He had been more interested in all the other activities she had participated in while in the other dimension, especially her night with the other Clark. Here she had spent a year ‘abroad’ and he hadn’t asked her about her main reason for being there. He scanned the living room as he approached the townhouse. It was empty. He touched his feet down on the living room carpet and then closed the window before spinning into his work clothes.

Penny walked into the living room from the kitchen with Lara’s bottle and jumped with a start, almost dropping the bottle. “Clark! I didn’t know you were here. Lois said that you had left already.”

“I didn’t mean to startle you. Where’s Lois?”

“She’s already left for the office.”

“Oh. I ran out to get some croissants for breakfast. I’ll just bring them to her at work.”

Penny smiled. “How sweet.” She sighed.

Great, just what he needed.

“Are you done fighting?” Penny continued.

Clark raised a brow.

“Right. None of my business. Just that Jimmy mentioned some tension at work. Wow, I think I hear Lara calling for her bottle. Excuse me.” She ran half way up the stairs and then stopped. “You know she wasn’t crying, don’t you? Super hearing and all. Sorry. You probably don’t like to be lied to.” She turned around and finished going up the stairs.

Clark shook his head. “Not as a rule. No.” He let go of a breath he didn’t know he had been holding. That was close. They still hadn’t admitted to Penny that he was Superman nor did they want to. But she didn’t need to actually catch him flying into the house. Out the front door, then.
Please leave your comments here. Thank you.

Missing Lois - TOC

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.