“I know I failed miserably with Mayson, but I’ve learned tons about this persona since then. I can do this.”
Okay?

Clark shrugged. “Oh, well. Maybe, it’s best he knows that you’re alive as he’s one of your best friends.”
*G*

He greeted them each with a hug and then he went to the stereo in the corner and turned on Elvis.
Ooooh, listening device protection?

Perry didn’t hug people and he despised people who hugged as a greeting. Clark shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Great. Elvis, too. What was the Mayor up to?
Huh…

/rewind/

He greeted them each with a hug and then he went to the stereo in the corner and turned on Elvis.
Oooooh, very clever!

Perry didn’t hug people and he despised people who hugged as a greeting. Clark shifted uncomfortably in his chair. Great. Elvis, too. What was the Mayor up to?
And even more clever!

“Rough week. Rough week.” Perry sighed, heading over to his rollaway bar and pouring three Scotches.
I didn’t even notice at first! Extremely clever!

He handed one to Clark, offered one to Lois, but when she turned him down, he took the other two to his desk.
Someone’s paying attention! Not that I realized why at first blush

“Clark, did I ever tell you why I hired you at the Daily Planet?”
Oooooh! This I got!

“It was about an attempted gang rape she had witnessed on Mid West U’s campus by some drunken frat boys, who hadn’t liked the girl’s Met U sweatshirt.”
Wow. She actually wrote it as an observer. But Perry put 2 and 2 together?

“Thank you, Perry. I always wondered what happened to her.” He set his glass on Perry’s desk.
Clark. You can still lie while not saying a word…

but I can’t do that, now can I, Lucy?” It was the first time Perry had acknowledged her since he had greeted them.
Wow. But, since Lois was only the witness, wouldn’t that still hold true? Lois was the one who tried to pitch the story. Lucy was the one befriending Clark. And they never met. Works perfectly.

The terrible story that Gareth could not repeat? Clark’s jaw dropped. “You’re the Lucy from Mid West? Not Lois? She really was named Lucy?”
Okay, now I’m confused. Unless, Clark’s playing an act, isn’t he? Which would still be odd, since Lucy had supposedly tracked him down. Only, Clark doesn’t know that she had told that to Gareth. Oh dear.

Lois wiped her cheeks again and took the Scotch glass out of his hand. “Game’s up, Clark.” She took a sip.
laugh

“No, Lois!” Perry slammed his hand on the desk. “You should have known better than to try to fool your old Memphis editor into thinking you were dead.”
Oh boy.

“What, other than the fact that my arms go around you when we hug?
Ooooh, clever.

“I could have given him ‘Superman Flies In a Plane For The First Time’, too.”
Ooooooh! goofy

“I’d hate for a rumor like that to get out.” Lois chuckled, picking up the Scotch glass that she used. She notched down her glasses, held up the glass in front of her and with her heat vision cleaned the outside of the glass of her fingerprints and lip prints.
Wow. She is like those evil master schemers you see in the movies. Telling you everything while they’re setting you up for the fall. Only, she’s more…slippery.

She set the Scotch glass down on the corner of the bar, where it dropped on the floor, breaking into pieces. “Ooops.”
Why break it? Because of her fingers touching the bottom?

But you didn’t react the way Clark did when I turned on the Elvis music just now.”
clap

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.