Missing Lois - TOC

A taste of Chapter 6, Part 11...

Martha set down the letter, reached over and hugged him. “Oh, Clark. I’m sorry. So very sorry.”

Clark looked down at the folded letter and then back at Martha, confused. “Why? What did she say?”

Martha’s mouth hung open a moment in surprise. Lois had never told him about the baby. She swallowed. “Tell me about the accident.”

“She told you about that?” He seemed dismayed.

“No. She told me about Clark being there for her, when Superman wasn’t. You still haven’t told her?”

Clark gazed down in shame. “No, I haven’t. Lois and I – Clark, I – have been getting along so well as friends…”

“No, you haven’t. Tell me what happened, Clark.”

“What did she write?” he asked, but Martha pulled the letter away. She raised her eyebrows.

Clark sat down in the chair next to her and buried his face in his hands. “She drove off in to a snowstorm while Kal – your Clark – and I were fighting. Her car slid off the road and was knocked into a ditch by a snowplow.”

“Oh, Clark.” Martha took hold of his hand.

“Her head was bleeding and her neck and spine seemed wrong,” he whispered, a tear running down his cheek. “Her heartbeat was weak when I pulled her out. I was rushing her to the hospital when we got struck out of the sky by lightning. We landed in the woods, there, by the house. She looked at me, said my name, and passed out.” His voice shook. “I was sure she was dead.”

Martha said nothing, just stared at him, her jaw hanging open. “Lightning?”

“Yeah. It was one of those freak electrical snowstorms.”

Martha nodded. “Go on.”
Thank you for reading. Please post feedback here.

Last edited by VirginiaR; 01/27/15 06:51 PM. Reason: Fix Broken Links

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.