Preview of 44

Half an hour later, as Lois and Clark strolled back to the Lakeside station to board Puffing Billy for the return trip to Belgrave, the AFL announced the schedule for next week's finals. Lois disconnected her earphone from the radio and listened with Clark.

"Sydney versus Hawthorn, at the SCG, Saturday the 7th of September, 7:10 pm."

Lois looked at Clark. Clark - aghast - looked at Lois.

"It will be OK," Lois said. Ahead, the station platform was teeming with people. She took Clark's hand and guided him to a secluded spot under a tree. She leant against the broad trunk of the ghost gum, hooked her arms around his waist, and smiled up to him. "The game will be finished by ten-thirty," she said quietly. "The wedding is at midnight, Melbourne time."

"Will that be enough time?"

She nodded. "You can take me to the farm, just as we planned. We can both get into the suits and go to Metropolis."

"But if Hawthorn lose, you -"

"We lose," Lois cut across him. "Whatever the result, I will put it behind me and get on with the most important part of the day."
Again, many thanks to my wonderful BRs - Iolanthe, Deja Vu, and Lynn. Particular thanks to Iolanthe who kept on encouraging me to work on the description of the game in this part.

FDK goes here,

Thanks.

Corrina.