/begin author's musings
"Let's see, Clark and Lois are being held at gunpoint by an enraged and bloodthirsty Lex Luthor and Clark is down from green K and a beat down. What else can I do to them? I know! Bring in the certifiably insane xenophobe and his troops! That'll just rock!"
/end author's musings

Ditto on Lois' guts. Hard to believe that she knows how to tweak Nigel so easily, yet at the same time not hard to believe. Criminals may be dumb, a few may be smart, but either way they possess massive egos and they can't believe that everyone else in the world doesn't see just how brilliant they really are. The really smart ones (like Lex and Nigel) are probably the worst, because they really are very smart. But they're not invulnerable, and they have to believe that they are in order to present the facade of civilization to all who see them.

Not like Trask, who's just plain loco in the coconut. If he were there to shake hands or join forces with Lex, the guy on the other side of the intercom would have answered Lex's call. Or Nigel would have come back with Trask. This does not look good for any of our participants. In fact, we're one insult away from a complete meltdown from almost anybody except Lois and Clark. The suspense is ripping me up, y'all!

Okay, I give up. Tell me where to send the ransom chocolates! I promise, no police or Utopian Time Guardians! Please, I just want to know how it ends!

Well, I would hope.

Life isn't a support system for writing. It's the other way around.

- Stephen King, from On Writing