Well, in this chapter you covered almost four years of Clark's and Lois's lives in the form of letters. And it worked very well, too. Some things were so heartbreaking to read:

I'm with a different foster family now. The family I'd been with decided to move to Missouri while I was at camp so even if I'd remembered their address, it wouldn't have mattered. I guess I'm glad I managed to save enough money to go to camp so I wouldn't have to deal with it all then, while they were moving.
The family moved away while he was at camp!!!! Incredible!!!

This family is okay. There's two other boys here, but their mom is getting out of rehab soon so they'll be going home with her. They may decide they don't want me anyway. A fire started the other day – I don't even really know how it happened – but I think I may have had something to do with it
Oh no!!! Clark has started to accidentally set things on fire with his heat vision!

And then there is Lois's life:

Dad's got a new girlfriend. At least he didn't have her over while we were there last weekend. I don't think I'll like her.

Mom quit her job last week. She wasn't working much anyway. She's too busy getting drunk all the time.
frown

Well, I moved again. This time I'm staying with Maisie. She runs the diner in Smallville. Maybe I can stay here for a while. A fire started again at the last place. I swear I don't mean to do anything. I honestly don't know how the fire started, but I've been branded a pyromaniac now. I'm not, I swear.
At least Maisie's name is familiar and somehow friendly. But poor Clark has been branded a pyromaniac.

High school! Finally! Did I tell you I got confirmation that I get to be on the paper this year? They don't accept very many freshmen but I got on! Daily Planet here we come!
Lois got on her high school paper as a freshman! Yeah! And her parents are back together, and Ellen is off the bottle, at least for now.

But...

I'm glad it seems to be working out at the Lang's place for you.
At the Lang's place??? He is with Lana??? Oh no!!!

Wayne is the executor of my parents' will and he's the one in charge of all of it until I'm 18. He pays rent to the bank into an account for me. Sometimes he uses the rent money to help me buy clothes and stuff. That's how I got a car. Did I tell you that? I got a car! It's almost as old I am, but it gets me from place to place. I'm working for Maisie at night and on weekends.
Well, good. Wayne Irig is helping Clark, and Clark is working for Maisie on weekends.

You're the only one I can tell this to. I think Lana wants me to ask her out. Like on a date. A real one. Where we end up making out behind the Tasty Freeze. I like her well enough I guess. I really only have 3 friends besides you. Lana, Rachel Harris [I think I told you about her; her dad is the sheriff] and Pete Ross. He's been my best friend since kindergarten. At least until I met this girl at summer camp. I really have no desire to date Lana though. She's a good friend, but can be very bossy and overbearing. She'd try to run my life if we were 'together'.
Don't date her, Clark!!!! jump

Shouldn't it be Kent and Lane? I am older you know.
Smart aleck!!!

Norcross and Judd... he's cute? Well, now that I know that, my life is complete. Seriously.

Wish I had time to write more, but I have to get to work. Thanks again for letting me live vicariously through you!
He is envious! And I think he just misses her.

Judging by what I saw on the news last week, you may have been right about Norcross and Judd. Their wedding is all over the news. The next time something that big hits the journalism world will be our wedding.

Okay, okay, don't take my head off. I won't propose until AFTER we win the first Pulitzer.
laugh

I finally agreed to take Lana out last week. It was... okay.
wallbash

Darn skippy about that whole proposal thing! I am NOT getting married until after our first Pulitzer and no kids until after the second.
lol

Joe asked me to go to a dance last week. I said yes, but I'm not all that excited about it. Really I'm only going because I'm covering it for the paper. I think I told you about Joe. He's the backup quarterback this year. After Tom, the starter, graduates this year, he should get promoted.
And Lois is dating others, too.

Did I tell you I got accepted at New Troy State Metropolis too? I seriously thought about it, but the scholarship didn't cover room and board – just enough for a lunch plan – and for a lot of reasons, I really don't want to live on campus.

Maybe you could come to Midwest?
He could have come to Metropolis, but he didn't want to! frown

I practically spewed my soda when I saw you wanted me to come to Midwest. Like my dad would pay for that.
And she can't come to Midwest.

And he graduated, but she couldn't come, but now he's got his own telephone, so now she can call him!

Well, all in all that was a very interesting and satisfying way of covering almost four years of young Lois and Clark's lives, Carol!

Ann