Print Thread
#50917 04/03/08 02:42 PM
T
TOC Offline OP
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
OP Offline
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
T
Well, in this chapter you covered almost four years of Clark's and Lois's lives in the form of letters. And it worked very well, too. Some things were so heartbreaking to read:

I'm with a different foster family now. The family I'd been with decided to move to Missouri while I was at camp so even if I'd remembered their address, it wouldn't have mattered. I guess I'm glad I managed to save enough money to go to camp so I wouldn't have to deal with it all then, while they were moving.
The family moved away while he was at camp!!!! Incredible!!!

This family is okay. There's two other boys here, but their mom is getting out of rehab soon so they'll be going home with her. They may decide they don't want me anyway. A fire started the other day – I don't even really know how it happened – but I think I may have had something to do with it
Oh no!!! Clark has started to accidentally set things on fire with his heat vision!

And then there is Lois's life:

Dad's got a new girlfriend. At least he didn't have her over while we were there last weekend. I don't think I'll like her.

Mom quit her job last week. She wasn't working much anyway. She's too busy getting drunk all the time.
frown

Well, I moved again. This time I'm staying with Maisie. She runs the diner in Smallville. Maybe I can stay here for a while. A fire started again at the last place. I swear I don't mean to do anything. I honestly don't know how the fire started, but I've been branded a pyromaniac now. I'm not, I swear.
At least Maisie's name is familiar and somehow friendly. But poor Clark has been branded a pyromaniac.

High school! Finally! Did I tell you I got confirmation that I get to be on the paper this year? They don't accept very many freshmen but I got on! Daily Planet here we come!
Lois got on her high school paper as a freshman! Yeah! And her parents are back together, and Ellen is off the bottle, at least for now.

But...

I'm glad it seems to be working out at the Lang's place for you.
At the Lang's place??? He is with Lana??? Oh no!!!

Wayne is the executor of my parents' will and he's the one in charge of all of it until I'm 18. He pays rent to the bank into an account for me. Sometimes he uses the rent money to help me buy clothes and stuff. That's how I got a car. Did I tell you that? I got a car! It's almost as old I am, but it gets me from place to place. I'm working for Maisie at night and on weekends.
Well, good. Wayne Irig is helping Clark, and Clark is working for Maisie on weekends.

You're the only one I can tell this to. I think Lana wants me to ask her out. Like on a date. A real one. Where we end up making out behind the Tasty Freeze. I like her well enough I guess. I really only have 3 friends besides you. Lana, Rachel Harris [I think I told you about her; her dad is the sheriff] and Pete Ross. He's been my best friend since kindergarten. At least until I met this girl at summer camp. I really have no desire to date Lana though. She's a good friend, but can be very bossy and overbearing. She'd try to run my life if we were 'together'.
Don't date her, Clark!!!! jump

Shouldn't it be Kent and Lane? I am older you know.
Smart aleck!!!

Norcross and Judd... he's cute? Well, now that I know that, my life is complete. Seriously.

Wish I had time to write more, but I have to get to work. Thanks again for letting me live vicariously through you!
He is envious! And I think he just misses her.

Judging by what I saw on the news last week, you may have been right about Norcross and Judd. Their wedding is all over the news. The next time something that big hits the journalism world will be our wedding.

Okay, okay, don't take my head off. I won't propose until AFTER we win the first Pulitzer.
laugh

I finally agreed to take Lana out last week. It was... okay.
wallbash

Darn skippy about that whole proposal thing! I am NOT getting married until after our first Pulitzer and no kids until after the second.
lol

Joe asked me to go to a dance last week. I said yes, but I'm not all that excited about it. Really I'm only going because I'm covering it for the paper. I think I told you about Joe. He's the backup quarterback this year. After Tom, the starter, graduates this year, he should get promoted.
And Lois is dating others, too.

Did I tell you I got accepted at New Troy State Metropolis too? I seriously thought about it, but the scholarship didn't cover room and board – just enough for a lunch plan – and for a lot of reasons, I really don't want to live on campus.

Maybe you could come to Midwest?
He could have come to Metropolis, but he didn't want to! frown

I practically spewed my soda when I saw you wanted me to come to Midwest. Like my dad would pay for that.
And she can't come to Midwest.

And he graduated, but she couldn't come, but now he's got his own telephone, so now she can call him!

Well, all in all that was a very interesting and satisfying way of covering almost four years of young Lois and Clark's lives, Carol!

Ann

E
Merriwether
Merriwether
E
There was so much in these letters, both in what was written and in what was written between the lines. He doesn't think he started the fires but he doesn't know. He doesn't want to live on-campus for several different reasons--heat vision and floating in his sleep come to my mind.

I like how you've woven the little details about Norcrosse and Judd in there, as well. And I can't forget why he was taking Rachel to the prom when he was seeing Lana. It was all so nicely thought out. Excellent work.

Elisabeth

Beat Reporter
Online Content
Beat Reporter
This is a fun tale. I think it's really sweet that Lois and Clark keep up as pen pals for four whole years. And I do trust that they will manage to see each other again someday. :-)

Columnist
Columnist
This chapter was so sweet, Carol. I loved seeing Lois and Clark through the years. Letters tend to be interesting to read because people express themselves differently in a letter as opposed to talking face to face. So it was great to kind of read between the lines here.

I just had a thought. Wouldn't it be interesting if the first time Loia and Clark saw each other after camp would be when Clark applies at the DP? Of course, I have no idea if that's where you're going with this or not, but it would be interesting to see the chemistry, no?

Boards Chief Administrator
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
The letter's were nice. Different but nice.
So, this means that all Clark has to do is win a Pulitzer together with Lois and then they are off to Vegas? And in the meantime, they will just move in together since they are now engaged? huh laugh

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.
Top Banana
Top Banana
Just wanted to say Carol, that I think late December is an excellent time for a birthday. wink

Poor Clark, yes, but at least one good thing came out of Dec 1976. Or is that a matter of opinion? goofy

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
C
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
C
Ann - have I mentioned how much I love your feedback?! It's nice to see other people's reactions 'line by line' so to speak [yeah, I know I should do it too - it's what I try to do as a BR - not every line of course, but the thoughts running through my head...] I also think he *knew* how the second fire [and maybe the first one] started, but it's something he can mention in a letter [oh, by the way, my heat vision has been hard to control this week... wink ]. I tried to stick sort of close to canon in the sense that he dated Lana and went to prom with Rachel and Lois dated Joe in her 'date the quarterback' phase.

Elisabeth - I don't think Clark was as much 'with Lana' as going out a few times for lack of anything better to do. He'll tell Lois more about his deal with Rachel later. And you're right - one big reason why he wanted to go to Midwest was because he could live at home and not have to live on campus [like many Universities require for the first couple of years for out of area students]. The commute - if he's careful - won't be hard for him and he doesn't have to worry about roommates.

Amy - don't worry they will wink .

Beth - that would be interesting wouldn't it wink ? Kind of like seeing Lois and Kaylie switch bodies [to steal Terry's idea and push it as my own /me whistles innocently].

Michael - I'm not sure 'engaged' is quite the right word! As this chapter ends they are only 16 and 18 after all! And I think one of them may have been much more serious about the exchange than the other wink . I let you decide which one.

Gr8 - I'm glad that Dec is a good birthday! I'm sure Clark will be happier knowing that something good came out of Dec. 1976!!! Thank you for reading!

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I'm glad you liked it. The letters are a bit different and that worried me a bit, but I didn't want to just have a big long paragraph of 'then Clark started fires then moved to Maisie's then to the Lang's and dated Lana and took Rachel to prom then graduated'. I mean what fun is that wink ?

The next chapter will see the reunion between our two favorite reporter wanna-bes [because that's really all they are at the moment wink ]. From the little bit of speculation here, I'm guessing it's going to throw you guys for a bit of a loop in the sense that you may not see it coming [but not a bad loop - I don't think...].

Chapter 3 has been re-beta'd by Alisha and I'm really dying to post it and 4 is ready for rebetaing since I changed some stuff and Ch. 5 and 6 are done [I think - think I just tweaked a bit here and there] and am reading 7 now, but 8... 8 needs a lot of work. If I can get some of that done tonight [while DH is mowing] then I'll post part 3 early this week. 9 also needs a lot of work. Okay - basically I just convinced myself to consider a 2xs a week posting schedule if I can make any progress on Ch. 8 at all because that gives me two and a half weeks to get 8-9 done. Yeah, yeah, yeah - thinking out loud wink .

Thank you again guys - I appreciate it!
Carol

Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Online Content
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by carolm:
Michael - I'm not sure 'engaged' is quite the right word! As this chapter ends they are only 16 and 18 after all! And I think one of them may have been much more serious about the exchange than the other wink . I let you decide which one.
Oh, oh, please! *jumps up and down* I know. I know. It's Lois, right?

Michael

Join us on the #loisclark Discord server! We talk about fanfic, our favorite show, life, and more! (It’s almost like the IRC days of old again!)

I go by Michael on the Archives.

Moderated by  Kaylle, SuperBek 

Link Copied to Clipboard