"What is it, Lois?" His voice was soft and full of concern, and it hit her right then how much he really cared for her.

"I need you to tell me about Lex Luthor," she explained. "Clark won't elaborate on the reasons why he suspects that Luthor isn't exactly who he seems to be. I hoped maybe you would."
Yes! Finally she directed the right question to the right person!

"If I asked, uh, if I asked you to help me prove all of this... Would you?"
And she is asking Superman to help her find proof against Lex... it's getting better and better!

Lois started fidgeting, wringing her hands together nervously. Finally, she took a deep breath and spoke. "Is there any hope for us? You and me?" She looked away for a moment, a blush appearing on her cheeks.
Hmmm. I noticed this only after I reread it, but she didn't say, Superman, is there any hope for us? She didn't address him as Superman. She just asked him if there was any hope for them.

"Lex asked me to marry him," Lois blurted out, interrupting him.

Superman's head snapped up. He looked at her, eyes wide with shock. "He...?" Panic rose in his chest as he understood just exactly why she'd asked him these questions before. "You... haven't said yes, have you? Lois, you can't marry this man. Please, no," he begged, his heart slowly shattering into a million pieces.
He is panicking...

"I haven't given him a response yet," she told him, shaking her head. "I had to talk to you first. I couldn't do anything else without... knowing... Because, he's all I've got left now. The Planet is gone and my friends are all going away, there'll be nothing left for me. Except, maybe you? I- I'm so completely in love with you, and--"

"Then don't marry him, Lois," he said without hesitation. And before he could think the better of it, he blurted out, in a completely uncharacteristic fashion, "Marry me, instead."
Wowzers!! That was certainly the right question!

She sucked in a sharp breath, then she shook her head sadly, frowned and sighed.

Clark had never before proposed to a woman, and while he was quite certain that this was probably the worst possible way to go about it, he was pretty sure that a sigh wasn't the traditional answer. He looked down to his feet, dejectedly.

"You have no idea how much I dreamt of this, how much I've wanted this," Lois said, hesitantly.
What's the matter with her?

"Couldn't..." Lois sighed again. "Did you have to do it as Superman, Clark?"
Oh, that's priceless!!! notworthy

Thank you for this lovely fic, Lara!

Ann