Ann, you gave me a lot to think about!

For me, the purpose of this scene was to show that the damage to L&C's relationship is far from being healed. I really think that Lois needs more time to get over all the lies Clark told her, and that it can't be swept under the rug. It was Lois who asked for more time, and Clark was just being the gentleman and backing off. Obviously, they still love each other and are still going to 'be together' but the point I'm trying to make is that Clark isn't about to get down on one knee any time soon.

Now let me explain the whole 'whisperer' thing from my perspective.

First of all, I see Lois as someone who get mad very easily, but that doesn't always mean she is under serious stress. Just because she is yelling, doesn't mean that she's suffering untold amounts of pain. Clark knows this about her, therefore when she reacts typically to the article, he doesn't automatically read more into the situation. In his perspective, Lois has forgiven him, and all is well with their relationship. It isn't until Lois starts really talking to Clark about all her hurt feelings that he sees that she's still struggling. Remembering Mayson bawling in her office, and constrasting it with Lois' typical reaction to anything that upsets her, can you maybe see why he is thoughts strayed to Mayson for a brief second?

My point is that Clark has no idea the emotional strain Lois is currently under. He has optimistically assumed that everything is sunshine and lollypops in their relationship, so therefore he can afford to think of other people's emotions.

As for Lois being able to forgive Clark quickly, she wasn't mad at him for dumping her feelings in the trash and concentrating on Mayson. Lois has a thick skin, and I really don't think think that one stupid tabloid is going to wound her all that much. What DID wound her was that Clark didn't seem to really understand what he had put her through. She hadn't been open with him about her feelings, and pretended that she was okay with what he had done, when really she wasn't. The news article just put her over the edge. Once she was able to vent her feelings, she could forgive him because she already had that night at his apartment. Her blow-up was a result of tension from keeping her feelings to herself.

In short:

Lois didn't share her hurt feelings completely with Clark. Clark therefore underestimated those feelings, and instead thought of the person he thought would be most hurt by the article: Mayson. Lois vents. Clark now realizes what she's going through. They come to a peacful reconciliation, both realizing that their relationship is far from healed, but willing to move forward.

What do you think?