Just have to add, since I insisted that those who own the Superman trademark won't kill him, that DC Comics brought him back from the dead after two months... or was it three, Lara? laugh (And the sales figures went through the roof. I don't foresee them doing the same thing if they decide to kill off Lois.)
You know... you would think I would know the answer to that. I have the paperback versions of all of these comics right here. But I don't know for sure how long it took before they brought him back. They brought in these 4 people for a while... and then they brought Clark himself back. Maybe 3 or 4 months, even. I'm really not sure at all. (and I did look for the answer, but I can't find it on the web and I'm too tired to keep looking!)

As for what would happen if they killed Lois... My only comment - because I honestly do not want to start a debate on this - is that they won't even try to kill Lois Lane. Why? Because to do that would literally kill Clark. His greatest weakness is the people he loves and if his wife happened to die, that would break him - completely. I'm positive about that.

Besides... when do they kill the hero's spouses anyway? Not very often, AFAIK. They kill heroes, but their spouses seem to keep on living.

Superman: Why is it that good villains never die?
Batman: Clark, what the hell are good villains?
=> Superman/Batman: Public Enemies