Well, it's such a pleasure to read other people's comments on this story. This is definitely a time when you can get smarter by taking part of other people's thoughts! (Ehhh... and if you ask me... that's what separates us humans from the rest of the animal kingdom anyway. wink )

Terry wrote:

Ann mentioned that it seems that the laws of physics must work differently in the Superman universe for a pair of glasses to hide his true identity. I disagree. It's also the hair style, the suit, the body language, the powers, the voice, the facial expressions (my impression is that Superman frowned more often than Clark did in the series), and the apparent change of personality between them. If someone wants to pull off an identity switch, it can be done, and identifying these people usually happens either when they make a mistake or some civilian gives the cops a tip. Granted, it would be more difficult for someone in the public eye, like Superman, but I think it's feasible.
I'm sure it's possible for many people to live a double life, but can you really do it when you are famous? When you are so famous? When you are the most famous person in the world? If, say, five hundred million people know exactly what Superman's face looks like, and a few thousand interested and well-informed people recognize Clark Kent? And all those who recognize Clark Kent also know exactly what Superman looks like? And all of these people are also interested in what Superman does in his spare time? Then it's not going to be enough that Clark's disguise is good enough to fool, say, ninety-nine people out of a hundred. Then again, maybe Clark is even better at disguising himself that I give him credit for.

But Terry, I love this observation:

To bring this back to the story, Kal-El has suffered greatly alongside Lois, a situation which nearly always brings the sufferers very close together. Conversely, while Clark suffered alongside Lois (and therefore feels the same no matter what clothes he's wearing), Lois doesn't know that! All she sees is the inept, undependable, dorky klutz she works with. When he wears the suit, she sees the man with whom she experienced torture, pain, dehumanizing treatment, and perilous escape. Her attitude towards both men is completely reasonable and completely understandable.
So true.

This observation of Hasini's fascinates me:

Early writers and directors insisted that Superman was the real man and Clark was just the façade. Modern takes on the story insists he was a regular guy who had a flare for spandex. Yours is the first instance where I have seen a story that doesn’t try to separate the two personas, preferring instead to focus on how the man was very much an amalgamation of two very real and valid personalities.
Like Hasini, I think that your take on the Clark/Lois/Superman love triangle is unique. I've long thought that it resembles the classic "Clark-loves-Lois-who-loves-Superman-who-isn't-interested-in-Lois-who-despises-Clark" frustrating love triangle for two. But this chapter showed us something that I can't remember seeing ever before. Not in any of those innumerable comics I have read. Not in any of the movies. Not in the LnC TV show, even though I've really seen so little of it. Rachel, I'm talking about the sweet, intimate, all-defenses-down togetherness between Lois and Superman. I'm talking about Lois and Superman breaking down in a fit of giggles as they are sharing some lovely cheesecake. I'm talking about Lois and Superman snuggling on couch and falling asleep together as they are watching a romantic movie. Really, that has never happened before.

What we have seen before has been an ever-so-slightly supercilious attitude of Superman towards Lois. Superman has been romancing Lois before, but always from a position of superiority. He has been bestowing his love on Lois like a king bestows favors on a grateful subject. Even when his relationship with Lois has been relatively equal - as it was for a while in the seventies - Superman was always firmly in control of himself and of what was happening between him and Lois. You would never have seen that Superman break down in a fit of uncontrollable giggles or fall asleep with Lois on the couch.

So your story shows us Superman dropping all pretence in front of Lois and showing her all of his vulnerability, softness, happiness, longing and love. Indeed, he's letting her see all of himself - with one tiny exception. He hasn't let her see that he spends most of his time wearing a conservative suit and glasses rather than spandex and a cape.

Your take on Superman is unique, Rachel, and still it is so recognizable.

Ann