Thanks, Lisa. This is exactly what I was thinking, but I guess I need to explain it better in the story or else just eliminate it completely, since it's clearly confusing to people. Since it's a PG-13 story, I'd rather not get too explicit in my discussion of this particular subject, either here or in the fic. However, it is possible to have condom failure and be unaware of it, and with Clark's strength and completely different body chemistry, it seemed to me that condom failure might be more likely in his case.

And yes, his mind was definitely on other things that night, and it was all dark and pseudo-moonlighty. Plus, he's feeling guilty and a little paranoid right now, so even if he doesn't *really* think anything went wrong, I think he'd be imagining worst case scenarios. What he knows for a fact is that his body really, really doesn't work like other people's and that he didn't give this a thought before having sex with a stranger.

But like I said, I'll give it a think and try to make this less confusing one way or another. Don't have time to respond to other comments just now - walking out the door - but thanks to all who have responded!

Best,

Caroline