Hmmmm. An alternate dimension/transplanted Clark? I don't know...

I've been reading this as being the exact situation in "our" universe, with the amnesia from Clark's first encounter with the asteroid - but with this fascinating twist.

If he subconsciously suppressed everything, I'm thinking, he could so very easily also suppress the fact that what he wants out of their relationship is so much more than what Lois appears to want. At this point, they're really only becoming good friends, but he's been in love with her from day one - a long time ago from the point of view of the one whose love is not returned.

The things he thinks he remembers - the wedding, the baby... those could, indeed, be a fantasy. His ultimate dream. Bolstered by their real encounters - the couple of powerful kisses they've shared - to add more realism to the whole thing.

Here he is, essentially a blank slate. He's super, with enhanced abilities. Including those of the senses. Maybe his dreams are very intense, too. laugh

This:
He closed his eyes as her hesitant whisper reached his ears. “Were you happy about the baby, Clark?”
was just so... I don't even think I can come up with a word to do it justice, Dave.

I wasn't actually expecting that Lois would react like that. That she'd do anything more than pull away, emotionally, the minute she realized what Clark thought he remembered. I expected her to fumble and deny it, awkwardly. Then what would happen next, I just didn't know.

But this - it's... She's so vulnerable under that tough exterior. Most men, in her experience, would not offer "forever" to her in terms of a relationship. And a child? Again, she could legitimately assume that any man would abandon her in such a situation.

But here - here's a man that is terribly distraught that they're not married - married! A forever thing. And then - then he reacts with real grief when he realizes there's no baby. Almost unable to comprehend, she tentatively asks him how he felt - was he... actually happy about a baby?? And she gets a reply she probably never anticipated she would ever hear from a man. Grief - real and intense grief - that it isn't true.

Wonderful stuff!!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler