I'm with the others on this part - it's fantastic! The tension is extremely high, and the waffy parts are just heart-melting.

I, too, found the part where Clark acknowledges that Lois could be dead at this time tomorrow to be particularly vivid.

And this:
It was like those truth or dare games he’d played with friends in college. If you had just twenty-four hours to live, what would you do?

Several of the guys had focused on dare-devil things. Excitement. Thrill-seeking. One or two had mentioned sex. The women had tended to focus on emotions - telling people they cared about that they loved them, resolving old wounds, revealing hidden feelings. Maybe experiencing intimacy for the first time with the person they loved.
was particularly effective for me, because many people do pose hypothetical questions like this to each other. And the answers are much as you describe. But everybody always knows these are hypothetical questions, not real situations. Nobody expects that it would ever be a real situation.

But here both Lois and Clark are, living this question with no apparent way to stop playing the game.

“Don’t leave me alone today?”
“Of course I won’t, Lois.”

“No running off? No sudden impulse to pick up a candy bar or talk to some source I know nothing about?”

His gaze held hers as securely as his hand did. “I promise.”
Yes, but what if?? What if he's needed?! thumbsup Very mush-inducing! I loved this.

I'll add my voice to the others - more! More! More!

~Toc

TicAndToc :o)

------

"I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three."
-Elayne Boosler