I have to think that I do it they way most writers do... I just make them up on the spot.

I have a couple of methods. First I have some names that (like most people) I happen to like. I have a tendency to use those names, espeically for characters I like.

But mostly, I just make them up on the spot. I try to come up with names that 'fit' the character. Whenever you create a character you have a certain vision of the kind of character he/she is. You try to think up a name that is appropriate for that character. Take everyone's favorite clueless reprobate from the series, Ralph. The name just seems to fit. But, would it work quite as well if he'd been named Marshall or Charles?

I have an original character in mind for a story that I might write someday. The lead is a woman who is a cross between Lois Lane and Laura Croft. So for this woman I need a 'cool' name, one that seems to exhibit strength and is not real common. I chose Cassandra Ann Lake. I thinks this fits the bill, and I also like being able to call her Cass Lake, which I think sounds cool (and yes there is at least one, if not more, lake in Minnesota named Cass Lake, but with over ten thousand lakes it's pretty hard not to have a name associated with a lake up here). I also like having the option of being able to use her initials Cal, as a possible nickname for close friends.

Taking the example of another character I created for an original fantasy story that I started many years ago. Here we are talking about sword and sorcery type fastasy settings so the character has to have a name that seems to fit that setting. Also he is has ties to some royal family (don't they all wink ), so that also has to be taken in consideration. So, a name like Tristan DesCoyne is created.

If the character is a minor one. More like a cameo or someone of little importance then I have a tendency to just throw together a couple of more common names since it doesn't really matter. The character is designed to be forgetable. A name like Jimmy Olsen comes to mind... wink

Tank (who realizes that he kind of got carried away with his response and begs the gentle board browsers' indulgence)