Originally posted by LabRat:
I sympathise with Heather, having had a surname I was mortally embarrassed by as a child.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Been there...

I was born Anna Owen (yes, a boy's name but it was my great-great-grandmother's maiden name) Rottenberg. And it's pronounced just as it looks. I was so happy when I got to change my last name at age 14!!!
Try having the first name Darcy (which was somewhat meanly rhymed with "Parsley" in kindergarten), and the last name Smittenaar--which got mis-pronounced a LOT, not to mention changed to "spit an hour" by a few of the other kids when I was in third grade.

To top it off, my middle name is Ann, so my initials spell the word "sad" backwards.

Don't get me wrong, I like my half-Dutch heritage, but I can't WAIT to find a decent guy with a more common (at least here in the States) last name!

"You take turns, advise and protect one another, even heal or be healed when the going gets too tough. I know! That's not a game--that's friendship!" ~Shelly Mezzanoble, Confessions of a Part-Time Sorceress: A Girl's Guide to the Dungeons & Dragons Game

Darcy\'s Place