After flickering off and on most of yesterday, we got our power back this morning. And our first real chance to look at the news and see what had happened.

God, my heart hurts.

Georgia had seven spun-off tornadoes- the kind hurricanes throw that come out of nowhere, little to no warning. Our small town had two within fifteen minutes of each other. We had just gotten the all-clear for the first, only to go running back for cover. Because of the rivers, we always fear flash flooding- but there was none of that this time. We are lucky- so very lucky- considering our neighbors to the south.

I spent four years in Biloxi, Mississippi- the first place we were ever stationed when my husband was active duty military. It's funny, because I was a city girl, born and bred. And when I heard *where* we were being sent and for how long, I could not believe life could be so cruel. Of all the places we were eligible for, Biloxi was absolutely last on my list . A sleepy little coastal town- and it was far sleepier before the gaming industry moved in- where I was certain I would wither away from sheer boredom.

I went kicking and screaming. But I wasn't there twenty-four hours before I fell completely, totally in love with it. That instant feeling of *belonging* the very first night we were driving around to get acquainted- windows down, moon on the water, breeze blowing in- is one of the biggest surprises I've ever received. I had spent 26 years in the city, never knowing home was waiting for me in tiny, hot, laid-back Biloxi.

Four years later I left... kicking and screaming.

This won't mean anything to anyone who hasn't been- and I'm so sorry for this long ramble; I've been glued to the news this morning and it just hasn't soaked in- everything south of the train tracks is gone. Miles and miles erased. The antebellum homes. The old churches. The flags. The little apartments we all stayed in until we could get housing on base. The base houses gone, too. The old fashioned McDonalds where I abandoned years of being a vegetarian. The Ocean Springs bridge. I haven't heard the fate of the lighthouse;I have this ridiculous hope it still stands.

Most of all, the loss of life. In the hundreds. Possibly, probably more.

I can hardly wrap my brain around the scale of it. The tragedy of it. It will be months before anything approaching normal can begin to emerge there.

My apologies for how long and maudlin this is. It's raw and I know I'm blurting this out thoughtlessly.

Jen, when you see this, could you drop me a line and let me know you're ok? I know you aren't far from there and I'm worried about you.

CC

You mean we're supposed to have lives?

Oh crap!

~Tank