*sigh*

Obviously we're not getting anywhere here, but as always I can't resist. Blame my day off. Grr.

And Alcyone, I don't really know what to quote from your post, except that you say that I'm not actually discussing anything and that I'm just plain wrong. Okay, let me summarize our arguments as I understand them:

LabRat and Alcyone: There is no reason. End of discussion.
You misunderstand me. I am not saying you're wrong. I'm saying that the framework underlying your argument has some big holes in it, which is what I look at when I look at how persuasive an argument is. The biggest hole being that you just don't read what you're talking about and that you have no intention of reading what you suggest in its stead. So what is your point exactly, other than to imply that those who write Lois deathfics do so because they've swallowed an anti-woman agenda that has them valuing the lives of males more? I agree with Hasini, this has little to do with fic.

Besides that, I generally do think your argument reduces women to mere victims of ideological baggage. Obviously an uneven power structure exists in the world at large, but I am a firm believer that every structure creates a position of opposition.

If I were to look at folktales (which ocurrs to me after reading Hasini's post) for instance, I would look not only at the content, but at the fact that a lot of them at base were by women and for women before men actually made them "legit" enough to publish (which is the only way we know them now). They represented a way for women to be creative and to create communities in an otherwise stifling social environment where their expression wasn't valued so much.

We don't have a lot of "original" folktales (and here I'm thinking in the Western frame) because folk tales are oral in origin (which makes even using the word 'original' kind of sketchy). A lot were never recorded and a large amount were also changed to be fit to be printed and disseminated. I don't know much about them, but I find it more interesting to imagine a group of women of all ages scandalizing each other with their lurid interpretations of social mores (folk tales are really freakin' bloody and scary)than brainwashed drones, which is what the content would have them seem if we look at it through the victim frame. There more than that I think.

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png