First a lot of people read for catharsis and that's great. But that is one way of reading. Let's not assume everyone who reads has the same reaction and the same intentions for reading. Those kinds of generalizations are seldom productive.

In that vein, enjoying a deathfic that happens to have Lois as the one who passed doesn't necessarily mean that Clark's death would be a bigger loss. That's faulty logic, people have rehashed this a million times.

Ann, you are providing your own biased and culturally-bound reading of what you percieve to be a genre. Your supporting evidence comes from your own experiences, which is fine, except that you put them forth as suggesting some larger political agenda of which _you_ stand as judge and juror. In essence you are saying "Because this happened to me and I understood it that way, I can judge and censure." Further, you seek to be a critic of something you don't even read, often parroting generalizations instead of giving a fic its due for better or worse.

I don't think your comments generate "discussion" at all. I would find them much less repellent if they did. Discussion entails some exchange, but you are clearly more interested in slamming your view into us than in actually attempting to see the different perspectives on it.

We all fall into that at times though. Nevertheless, what does always offend me is that inevitably your comments end up scolding those who dare post something you disagree with.

Why not go brainstorm ways to kill Clark instead?

alcyone

One loses so many laughs by not laughing at oneself - Sara Jeannette Duncan
http://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/myl/llog/duty_calls.png