Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Christina Socks? - 01/26/14 08:02 AM
In a story I'm in the process of writing Superman has to take his boots off at a fancy restaurant (it's in India). I was trying to imagine what he'd put under them. Goofy striped? Dress socks? thick boot-socks (I'm thinking hiking variety-they're the softest pairs of socks I own), etc.
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 09:25 AM
I definitely see Clark wearing goofy or flashy (no pun involving Marvel's speedster intended) socks, but I think that in his Superman persona, he would wear either solid red or solid yellow socks to keep to his simple, primary-colour scheme. That's assuming, of course, that he is wearing socks at all. I could also see his uniform having foot covering built into them as an extension of the cloth used in the leggings.

As an aside, does anyone know what Dean Cain wore under the boots on the show?

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: gr8shadesofElvis Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 11:25 AM
Perhaps something with a hole in the toe? Or maybe some old socks from his school days with a CJ Kent label sewn on them. It's gotta be hard keeping on top of the laundry when you're such a busy guy.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 04:17 PM
Superman socks. laugh

[Linked Image]

Okay, the yellow ones make more sense.
Posted By: Meadowrose Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 05:48 PM
I like the Superman socks. I can see a big reveal where he lets everyone know that proceeds go to the Superman Foundation. But, the same blue as the uniform would probably fit better.
Posted By: IreneD Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 06:15 PM
Hi Christina,

Really anything could work here. He could be low on laundry and have to wear the joke pair that Lois gave him and we would have another really unique way of a revelation. Or he could wear something nondescript that barely rates a mention. I guess what I'm trying to say is it all depends on what you want the socks to reveal, or not reveal as the case may be.

Irene
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 09:53 PM
I've seen pics of the suit (sans boots) online. (One just sold at auction - true, it was a stunt suit for flying.) It definitely cut off at the ankles. There was no foot covering on that suit - so he would have needed to wear socks with it.

Now, I can't remember if we ever fully saw the suit without Clark in it on the show. I checked screencaps of episodes I remember the suits shown while not on Clark (ASU, PVLL, DTOSC) but can't find any that show the legs down to wear the feet would be.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 10:05 PM
I kind of like the idea of him wearing Superman sock. Cute.
Posted By: Christina Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 10:33 PM
I know I'm wanting to make it something that makes Lois laugh, like she didn't expect to see them. I kind of like the idea of blue booties/footed bodysuit but it would lend credence to the negative answer to the question "does the suit come off?"
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 10:36 PM
You know what would be hilarious????

Batman socks.
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Socks? - 01/26/14 11:12 PM
What about some knitted socks from his mom? Or something silly or innocent. When I was searching Google for Superman socks, I saw some Kermit the Frog socks ("It's not easy being green" - I don't know, I could see Clark being a closet Kermit fan). But knowing how careful Clark is with his uniform, this would include everything down to his socks and underwear he would wear as Superman. That's why I agreed with Lynn that they were probably yellow, as there is so little yellow in his uniform. I went back and checked to see if we could see Clark's socks when he did the whole 'trying on boots' scene during the costume montage in the Pilot, but I couldn't see anything but boot.

And, yes, I was kidding about the striped socks earlier. laugh
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Christina:
I know I'm wanting to make it something that makes Lois laugh, like she didn't expect to see them. I kind of like the idea of blue booties/footed bodysuit but it would lend credence to the negative answer to the question "does the suit come off?"
Thanks. smile I don't think it sheds any light on whether the suit would come off; after all Dr. Denton pyjamas come off kids.

Joy,
Lynn
Posted By: Lynn S. M. Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
You know what would be hilarious????

Batman socks.
clap lol
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Christina:
Well, you could make suit have stirrups and have the socks be a different shade of blue, which would indicate two (or three since socks come in pairs) separate pieces of clothing.
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 10:39 AM
I always pictured red socks to match his boots, but maybe he'd just wear white sport socks. Lois might raise an eyebrow when she sees "HANES" on the sole.
Posted By: Shallowford Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 10:44 AM
I like the Batman sock idea.

This got me thinking, though...why would he wear boots in the first place? He doesn't wear gloves and he does a lot more with his hands than with his feet. He gets around by flying for Pete's sake.

Boots are just going to wear out and need cleaning. His feet are as indestructable as the rest of him and easier to clean. I have to conclude the boots must serve as part of the disguise. Does he have really gnarly bunions or something?
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Shallowford:
I like the Batman sock idea.

This got me thinking, though...why would he wear boots in the first place? He doesn't wear gloves and he does a lot more with his hands than with his feet. He gets around by flying for Pete's sake.

Boots are just going to wear out and need cleaning. His feet are as indestructable as the rest of him and easier to clean. I have to conclude the boots must serve as part of the disguise. Does he have really gnarly bunions or something?
In the pilot the "boots" are more like socks than the leather boot Lois makes for Alt-Clark in S3. Perhaps he changed to leather for the look after wearing out of dozen pairs of sock-boots after moments like while he tried to stop that gas truck in Madame Ex.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 01:22 PM
If Lois is there in the story, might she recognize Clark's feet?
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Classicalla:
I'm guessing that she wasn't looking at his bare feet the one time she caught him in just a towel.
Posted By: LMA Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 01:26 PM
mrsMxyzptlk originally posted:

I always pictured red socks to match his boots, but maybe he'd just wear white sport socks. Lois might raise an eyebrow when she sees "HANES" on the sole.
My first thought had been some white sports socks, also (and the "HANES" label was in my brain in the visual b/c that's what kind my husband wears--and had just done a load of laundry laugh ).

I can sort of picture Clark wearing whatever socks he'd have on at the time--dress socks from being at work, athletic socks if at home--but then again, Clark's really careful with his secret, and a pretty thorough guy, so Superman probably does have some sort of official costume-matching socks. My vote is for red thumbsup

Laura
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 01:39 PM
I'm guessing that she wasn't looking at his bare feet the one time she caught him in just a towel.
Hehe... No, but what about those times they've watched movies together? I can imagine his bare feet on the coffee table. But then she never recognized his hands, so....
Posted By: Ingeborg Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 02:14 PM
I always assumed he had red socks underneath, like the ones at 0:54 here
Posted By: Ingeborg Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 02:54 PM
I just watched the video again, and I think those are not red socks, they are red boots. Some kind of strange soft boot. He tries on brown leather boots, and then green boots, and then those. If you stop the video at just the right time (0:53), you can see what looks to be white socks on *underneath* the red sock/boots. Which, maybe, answers the question? White athletic socks?
Posted By: Deadly Chakram Re: Socks? - 01/27/14 08:56 PM
Actually, Virginia - the red sock thing was with the Captain America style costume Martha made. When he emerges in the (shieldless) Superman costume, the boots are leather (you can see the decorative lacing on them).

Ingeborg is right - as he's pulling up the red socks with the Captain America outfit, you can see white athletic socks beneath the red as he pulls them up.
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: Socks? - 01/28/14 05:58 AM
Considering that his feet are invulnerable, and he doesn't sweat (unless under emotional pressure), would he even need to wear socks? It's not like he's going to develop blisters or foot odour
Posted By: VirginiaR Re: Socks? - 01/28/14 10:41 AM
Originally posted by NostalgiaKick:
Considering that his feet are invulnerable, and he doesn't sweat (unless under emotional pressure), would he even need to wear socks? It's not like he's going to develop blisters or foot odour
Considering, though, that Clark was raised in a culture where he was taught to wear socks with his shoes, I could see him considering it mandatory, even if it's not necessary. laugh
Posted By: Christina Re: Socks? - 01/28/14 12:52 PM
Originally posted by VirginiaR:
[b] Considering that his feet are invulnerable, and he doesn't sweat (unless under emotional pressure), would he even need to wear socks? It's not like he's going to develop blisters or foot odour
Considering, though, that Clark was raised in a culture where he was taught to wear socks with his shoes, I could see him considering it mandatory, even if it's not necessary. laugh [/b]
I'm with Virginia on this one. I can't imagine either Clark OR Superman going without socks of some sort or another.
Posted By: Kathryn84 Re: Socks? - 01/28/14 03:45 PM
Wouldn't it be funny if the socks Lois sees him wearing were originally a present from her to Clark?
The secret revealed by a pair of socks... I can't remember a story using this 😉
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: Socks? - 01/29/14 04:47 AM
Wouldn't it be funny if the socks Lois sees him wearing were originally a present from her to Clark?
I totally agree Kathryn84, I'd enjoy reading that smile
Posted By: Christina Re: Socks? - 01/29/14 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Kathryn84:
I was hoping for a much smaller revelation in my particular story (especially as it's early season one or so). But that doesn't mean someone else couldn't try this. party *dances over to the challenge page to set this up.*
Posted By: Kathryn84 Re: Socks? - 01/29/14 08:02 AM
Did we ever see what type of socks Clark wears with his business-suits? My guess would be he doesn't change them because it seems highly unlikely that he has to get out of his boots in public at all.
Posted By: Kathryn84 Re: Socks? - 01/29/14 08:05 AM
Sorry doublepost
Posted By: NostalgiaKick Re: Socks? - 02/04/14 06:53 AM
Actually I was just watching GGGoH, and when he collapses after Jonathon exposes him to the Kryptonite, he's wearing plain black socks under his dress pants.
Don't know if there's any other point in the series where we see them, just came across this one by accident smile
Posted By: John Lambert Re: Socks? - 02/05/14 09:11 PM
What about some knitted socks from his mom? Or something silly or innocent. When I was searching Google for Superman socks, I saw some Kermit the Frog socks ("It's not easy being green" - I don't know, I could see Clark being a closet Kermit fan). But knowing how careful Clark is with his uniform, this would include everything down to his socks and underwear he would wear as Superman. That's why I agreed with Lynn that they were probably yellow, as there is so little yellow in his uniform. I went back and checked to see if we could see Clark's socks when he did the whole 'trying on boots' scene during the costume montage in the Pilot, but I couldn't see anything but boot.

And, yes, I was kidding about the striped socks earlier. laugh
Who says Clark needs to be a closet Kermit fan. I can see him openly telling Lois he loves Kermit. In fact I can see the Kermit socks being the catalyst that causes Lois to realize CK=SM.
Posted By: John Lambert Re: Socks? - 02/05/14 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Classicalla:
[b]
I'm guessing that she wasn't looking at his bare feet the one time she caught him in just a towel. [/b]
The most likely way for her to recognize his bare feet is if he recently took his shoes and socks off during a light night writing session and propped his bare-feet up on a table, or something like that.

I am not sure we ever saw him barefoot in canon, although I am sure he was at the end of "Soul Mates" and start of "Brutal Youth", not that Lois was looking at his feet. I think he even has his feet covered in the infamous photos in "Sex, Lies and Video Tapes". The real scandal of SLVT, SM goes to be with his boots still on.
Posted By: John Lambert Re: Socks? - 02/05/14 09:22 PM
[b] Considering that his feet are invulnerable, and he doesn't sweat (unless under emotional pressure), would he even need to wear socks? It's not like he's going to develop blisters or foot odour
Considering, though, that Clark was raised in a culture where he was taught to wear socks with his shoes, I could see him considering it mandatory, even if it's not necessary. laugh [/b]
I would think that Martha would have included socks as part of the outfit. That idea makes sense to me. It is just too much part of the American culture to wear socks with boots and shoes for Clark to not to. If he had been raised in a place like California where sandals are big, I might see him going sockless, but not as a Kansas-rasied person.
Posted By: dcarson Re: Socks? - 02/07/14 05:45 PM
I can see Clark being a thrifty farm boy as darning his socks when needed instead of throwing them out. Lois could recognize that from when he kicks his shoes off when watching a video.
Posted By: Morgana Re: Socks? - 02/09/14 09:21 AM
Yeah, but wouldn't it be neat if he took his socks off and there were holes in them? laugh
Posted By: mrsMxyzptlk Re: Socks? - 02/22/14 01:09 PM
What about argyle? Maybe in colors that aren't too reserved, a la Clark's ties?
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards