Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#169950 01/26/14 04:02 AM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
In a story I'm in the process of writing Superman has to take his boots off at a fancy restaurant (it's in India). I was trying to imagine what he'd put under them. Goofy striped? Dress socks? thick boot-socks (I'm thinking hiking variety-they're the softest pairs of socks I own), etc.

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#169951 01/26/14 05:25 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
I definitely see Clark wearing goofy or flashy (no pun involving Marvel's speedster intended) socks, but I think that in his Superman persona, he would wear either solid red or solid yellow socks to keep to his simple, primary-colour scheme. That's assuming, of course, that he is wearing socks at all. I could also see his uniform having foot covering built into them as an extension of the cloth used in the leggings.

As an aside, does anyone know what Dean Cain wore under the boots on the show?

Joy,
Lynn

#169952 01/26/14 07:25 AM
Top Banana
Top Banana
Perhaps something with a hole in the toe? Or maybe some old socks from his school days with a CJ Kent label sewn on them. It's gotta be hard keeping on top of the laundry when you're such a busy guy.

When Life Gives You Green Velvet Curtains, Make a Green Velvet Dress.
#169953 01/26/14 12:17 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Superman socks. laugh

[Linked Image]

Okay, the yellow ones make more sense.

VirginiaR.
"On the long road, take small steps." -- Jor-el, "The Foundling"
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#169954 01/26/14 01:48 PM
M
Beat Reporter
Beat Reporter
M
I like the Superman socks. I can see a big reveal where he lets everyone know that proceeds go to the Superman Foundation. But, the same blue as the uniform would probably fit better.

#169955 01/26/14 02:15 PM
Columnist
Columnist
Hi Christina,

Really anything could work here. He could be low on laundry and have to wear the joke pair that Lois gave him and we would have another really unique way of a revelation. Or he could wear something nondescript that barely rates a mention. I guess what I'm trying to say is it all depends on what you want the socks to reveal, or not reveal as the case may be.

Irene

I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once.
#169956 01/26/14 05:53 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
I've seen pics of the suit (sans boots) online. (One just sold at auction - true, it was a stunt suit for flying.) It definitely cut off at the ankles. There was no foot covering on that suit - so he would have needed to wear socks with it.

Now, I can't remember if we ever fully saw the suit without Clark in it on the show. I checked screencaps of episodes I remember the suits shown while not on Clark (ASU, PVLL, DTOSC) but can't find any that show the legs down to wear the feet would be.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#169957 01/26/14 06:05 PM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
I kind of like the idea of him wearing Superman sock. Cute.

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#169958 01/26/14 06:33 PM
C
Top Banana
OP Offline
Top Banana
C
I know I'm wanting to make it something that makes Lois laugh, like she didn't expect to see them. I kind of like the idea of blue booties/footed bodysuit but it would lend credence to the negative answer to the question "does the suit come off?"

CLARK: No. I'm just worried I'm a jinx.
JONATHAN: A jinx?
CLARK: Yeah. Let's face it, ever since she's known me, Lois's been kidnapped, frozen, pushed off buildings, almost stabbed, poisoned, buried alive and who knows what else, and it's all because of me.
-"Contact" (You're not her jinx, you're her blessing.)
#169959 01/26/14 06:36 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
You know what would be hilarious????

Batman socks.

Battle On,
Deadly Chakram

"Being with you is stronger than me alone." ~ Clark Kent

"One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation." ~ Figment the Dragon

#169960 01/26/14 07:12 PM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
What about some knitted socks from his mom? Or something silly or innocent. When I was searching Google for Superman socks, I saw some Kermit the Frog socks ("It's not easy being green" - I don't know, I could see Clark being a closet Kermit fan). But knowing how careful Clark is with his uniform, this would include everything down to his socks and underwear he would wear as Superman. That's why I agreed with Lynn that they were probably yellow, as there is so little yellow in his uniform. I went back and checked to see if we could see Clark's socks when he did the whole 'trying on boots' scene during the costume montage in the Pilot, but I couldn't see anything but boot.

And, yes, I was kidding about the striped socks earlier. laugh

VirginiaR.
---
"clearly there is a lack of understanding between those two... he speaks Lunkheadanian and she Stubbornanian" -- chelo.
#169961 01/27/14 12:36 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Christina:
I know I'm wanting to make it something that makes Lois laugh, like she didn't expect to see them. I kind of like the idea of blue booties/footed bodysuit but it would lend credence to the negative answer to the question "does the suit come off?"
Thanks. smile I don't think it sheds any light on whether the suit would come off; after all Dr. Denton pyjamas come off kids.

Joy,
Lynn

#169962 01/27/14 12:37 AM
L
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
L
Originally posted by Deadly Chakram:
You know what would be hilarious????

Batman socks.
clap lol

#169963 01/27/14 06:15 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Christina:
Well, you could make suit have stirrups and have the socks be a different shade of blue, which would indicate two (or three since socks come in pairs) separate pieces of clothing.

VirginiaR.
---
#169964 01/27/14 06:39 AM
M
Columnist
Columnist
M
I always pictured red socks to match his boots, but maybe he'd just wear white sport socks. Lois might raise an eyebrow when she sees "HANES" on the sole.

"It is a remarkable dichotomy. In many ways, Clark is the most human of us all. Then...he shoots fire from the skies, and it is difficult not to think of him as a god. And how fortunate we all are that it does not occur to him." -Batman (in Superman/Batman #3 by Jeph Loeb)
#169965 01/27/14 06:44 AM
S
Columnist
Columnist
S
I like the Batman sock idea.

This got me thinking, though...why would he wear boots in the first place? He doesn't wear gloves and he does a lot more with his hands than with his feet. He gets around by flying for Pete's sake.

Boots are just going to wear out and need cleaning. His feet are as indestructable as the rest of him and easier to clean. I have to conclude the boots must serve as part of the disguise. Does he have really gnarly bunions or something?

Shallowford
#169966 01/27/14 09:09 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Shallowford:
I like the Batman sock idea.

This got me thinking, though...why would he wear boots in the first place? He doesn't wear gloves and he does a lot more with his hands than with his feet. He gets around by flying for Pete's sake.

Boots are just going to wear out and need cleaning. His feet are as indestructable as the rest of him and easier to clean. I have to conclude the boots must serve as part of the disguise. Does he have really gnarly bunions or something?
In the pilot the "boots" are more like socks than the leather boot Lois makes for Alt-Clark in S3. Perhaps he changed to leather for the look after wearing out of dozen pairs of sock-boots after moments like while he tried to stop that gas truck in Madame Ex.

VirginiaR.
---
#169967 01/27/14 09:22 AM
Pulitzer
Pulitzer
If Lois is there in the story, might she recognize Clark's feet?

~~Even heroes have the right to dream.~~
#169968 01/27/14 09:25 AM
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Nobel Peace Prize Winner
Originally posted by Classicalla:
If Lois is there in the story, might she recognize Clark's feet?
I'm guessing that she wasn't looking at his bare feet the one time she caught him in just a towel.

VirginiaR.
---
#169969 01/27/14 09:26 AM
LMA Offline
Top Banana
Top Banana
mrsMxyzptlk originally posted:

I always pictured red socks to match his boots, but maybe he'd just wear white sport socks. Lois might raise an eyebrow when she sees "HANES" on the sole.
My first thought had been some white sports socks, also (and the "HANES" label was in my brain in the visual b/c that's what kind my husband wears--and had just done a load of laundry laugh ).

I can sort of picture Clark wearing whatever socks he'd have on at the time--dress socks from being at work, athletic socks if at home--but then again, Clark's really careful with his secret, and a pretty thorough guy, so Superman probably does have some sort of official costume-matching socks. My vote is for red thumbsup

Laura

"Where's Clark?" "Right here."

...two simple sentences--with so much meaning.

~Lois and Clark in 'House of Luthor'~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bakasi, JadedEvie, Toomi8 

Link Copied to Clipboard