Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: Schnuffichen FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 11:12 AM
Oooooh, such a sweet (yes, pun intended... wink ) story! I love it how Lois fights with herself and - having lost the battle - finds lots of sooo cute excuses for her behavior wink

"Besides, the way I see it, I'm doing the chocolate a favor."
"No, seriously." She stopped and turned to face him, looking up at him in earnest. "I'm liberating it from the box. Before it turns bad. Clark, I'm saving the chocolate."
Awww, and I'm soooo sorry for poor Clark frown

"Right. Chocolate and Superman." Clark shook his head dejectedly before returning to his desk.
Really a great story smile1
Loved the open ending thumbsup
Posted By: carolm Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 11:18 AM
Thank you for pulling me away from my paper writing. I very much appreciate it wink .

Loved this! Very much! Loved her excuses for 'liberating' the chocolate. So very Lois.

And poor Clark.

Great revelation! Love it! Now go get Luthor!!!
Carol
Posted By: Mrs. McLeod Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 12:45 PM
Not being able to say no to chocolate and Superman,... that sounds about right wink

"I'm liberating it from the box. Before it turns bad. Clark, I'm saving the chocolate."
.. and am I crazy for thinking she's right??

Oh, and I loved this revelation, maybe this time Lois will actually listen to Clark about Luthor.

-Camy
Posted By: Saskia Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 01:21 PM
*has a sudden craving for chocolate*

Lovely story, Lara. I specifically liked the revelation and Lois' declaration that chocolate shouldn't be kept around to go bad. laugh So true. *g*

Saskia
Posted By: Mercy Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 01:31 PM
Mmm, yay for doing chocolate a favor! thumbsup I have to agree with Lois on that one. Cute revelation story, all around. And Clark was so brave for exposing his secret to her--but if there's one thing *he* can't say no to, it's Lois!
Posted By: MetroChumpy Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 01:41 PM
Yay, you posted! Leaving FDK as I read...

For the fifth time in as many minutes, Lois looked away from her screen and glanced toward the box of chocolates sitting on Megan's desk. It had been there for days. Untouched. Unguarded.

Taunting her.
LOL! How very Lois.

She was convinced that the food columnist had left it there on purpose, knowing that the temptation would likely drive her crazy.
We're onto you now, Megan, you want to send Lois to the loony bin so you can have Clark all to yourself!

"I'm liberating it from the box. Before it turns bad. Clark, I'm saving the chocolate."
rotflol

He'd make things right again. Because that was what Clark Kent always did.
Awww

"But the last time I looked, Kent, you weren't him."
*smirk*

"Yes, Lois, I was." With that, he removed his glasses and took a step forward. "I've always been. You just weren't looking closely enough."

Lois sucked in a sharp breath, her eyes growing wide.

"Now," Clark said, putting the glasses back on, "could we please talk about Lex Luthor?"
Yay!!

This so rocked, Lara! hail
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 02:58 PM
So nice, Lara smile

Lois sure wins big time - she and Clark will get the Luthor story that will win them a Kerth, of course; she finds out "The Secret", plus.... she gets chocolate. It doesn't get any better than that - at least on the gfic side smile

c.
Posted By: EditorJax Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 03:03 PM
She gave him an awkward smile. "No'shing," she replied, desperately trying to hide the evidence by swallowing the mouthful of chocolate. "You're imagining things."

He raised an eyebrow at her. "Sure. And I suppose that chocolate in your mouth is imaginary, too?"
Come on, Clark. Stick your tongue in her mouth and get evidence! And seriously, in a non-gutter-related comment, I love how you have her smile awkwardly, the way she pronounces "nothing," and then swallows the chocolate. It's SO Lois!

"No, seriously." She stopped and turned to face him, looking up at him in earnest. "I'm liberating it from the box. Before it turns bad. Clark, I'm saving the chocolate."
Ha, I may try that as an excuse next time I, uh, accidentally go to the Coach store. But I'm saving the purse before it goes out of style!

"Right. Chocolate and Superman." Clark shook his head dejectedly before returning to his desk.
Awww, poor Clark!

In the blink of an eye, he had lost it all. All the things that were dear to him, gone. Taken away, stolen. It was Luthor's doing, Clark knew. The devil in a three-piece suit.
I love your subtle description of Lex from Clark's point of view. It simply speaks volumes; as does our poor (hot) farmboy's sadness.

"Now," Clark said, putting the glasses back on, "could we please talk about Lex Luthor?"
WOW! eek

Lara, you rock! Not only can you help my newspaper with the correct le/la usage for crepes, but you also can write! HELLA good, may I add! smile1 I love this! It's great how it presents two time elements without being overtly verbose. It's absolutely fantastic, so go turn on some Celine and do a victory dance! laugh

Yes, I know: mad
Posted By: Ank. K. S. Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 04:33 PM
Superb... loved the revelation scene especially Clark putting his glasses back in place to.. talk.

thumbsup
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 05:47 PM
Smooth! Love the ending. You end it just before Lois ruins our sweet story with her response. So which does Clark get, the Lady or the Tiger?

Elisabeth
Posted By: Laurach Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 09:41 PM
THAT is how it SHOULD have been! Nice job! Laura
Posted By: Framework4 Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 10:43 PM
Delightful but
~The End~
wildguy
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/08/08 11:54 PM
[Linked Image]

They are just sitting there... and Lois is supposed not to touch?

[Linked Image]

Eating chocolate - who, me?

But it is hard to deny it when the treat is in your mouth...

"Lois? What are you doing?" he asked, his voice full of reproach, though he spoke barely above a whisper.

She gave him an awkward smile. "No'shing," she replied, desperately trying to hide the evidence by swallowing the mouthful of chocolate. "You're imagining things."
And she had to swallow the whole thing without having time to savour it!

"Stop being so judgmental, Clark. It's just a piece of chocolate. Megan won't even care!" Lois protested. "Besides, the way I see it, I'm doing the chocolate a favor."

"You're-- what?" Clark chuckled. "A favor? Lo-is!"

I sort of agree with her - you don't want to know what happened to a bar of chocolate with nuts that I had just forgotten in a drawer for three years... <insert green retching gremlin>

And the ending! Hah, what an ending! Tell me, Lara, is it possible to kill another person with chocolate? Maybe if you have a truffle with a soft tender kryptonite filling? Then again, I know why Clark put on his glasses again. When I was a kid there was a code of honour which said that you mustn't hit a guy with glasses!

Lovely! Hey, I'm ready for another piece of chocolate, Lara!

Ann
Posted By: Jenni Debb Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/09/08 03:18 AM
Hi Lara,

It might have taken you a little longer to reach your goal, but good things are worth waiting for ... and not just chocolate. smile

This was truly a little 'treat' of a story. Sweet and with just the right amount of tartness, and a wonderfully yummy finish. wink

Loved it.
Yours Jenni
Posted By: Shadow Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/09/08 03:24 AM
I'm putting this on my to-read list for next week!

JD
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/09/08 07:50 AM
No'shing," she replied, desperately trying to hide the evidence by swallowing the mouthful of chocolate.
"No'shing" - that says it all! I can see the look on her face so plainly.

lol

It seemed like an eternity ago that he'd caught Lois stealing a truffle from a box exactly like that one. Though in fact, it was just the day before.

(snip)

There wasn't a newsroom to go to anymore. There wasn't even a Daily Planet. The building had gone up in a ball of flames, and with it the livelihood of so many people. And as if that hadn't been enough to shatter Clark's own hopes and dreams, the worst blow of all had come when he had learned that Lex Luthor had proposed marriage to Lois.
I really, really love that this story has solid before-and-after line. The moment when everything changes always fascinates me because there's so much depth to explore. In this case, the chocolate scene shows how sweet and even innocent life was before compared to how it is after.

devil in a three-piece suit
Great line.

"Yes, Lois, I was." With that, he removed his glasses and took a step forward. "I've always been. You just weren't looking closely enough."

I've always enjoyed matter-of-fact revelations, and this is a really good one. He's pretty much saying, "We don't have time for your histrionics, there's something important going on here, you can yell later, for now listen to me!" This is what he should have done in the show. And it's a great zinger of an ending!
Posted By: Eva Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/09/08 11:16 AM
This was a great little vignette, Lara.

"Besides, the way I see it, I'm doing the chocolate a favor."
I can always relate to chocolate-loving Lois and your/Lois's explanation that she was just *freeing* the chocolate: wonderful smile

rotflol I could so picture this. It reminded me of Lois eating Perry's last donut and then blaming Carl from Travel (was it?), who was out of town, unfortunately. Great.

"Ah. But didn't you say there were two things you couldn't say no to?"

"Yes, yes, two things. Chocolate and Superman," (...) "But the last time I looked, Kent, you weren't him."

"Yes, Lois, I was."
awww - I find that reply smart and sweet and also a little sad ...

Gotta love straight-back-to-the-issue-at-hand Clark smile

All in all, this was such a cute little story. Thanks a lot for sharing smile

Eva
Posted By: Caroline Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/09/08 12:33 PM
This was great, Lara! What a nice surprise. Thank you smile .

Caroline
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/09/08 09:50 PM
awww! Thank you all so much! [Linked Image]

I really appreciate all your comments - they totally made my day. Thank you!
Posted By: Classicalla Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/11/08 04:59 PM
Well, I haven't read it yet, but I LOVE the title. Truffles and Tribulations indeed. I love the Star Trek pun.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/11/08 06:55 PM
I love the Star Trek pun.
hehehe! I'm glad that someone caught on to that. smile
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/11/08 07:32 PM
[Linked Image]

Tribbles (and tribulations?)! No, the Troubles with Tribbles (I think). Guess I should have picked it up. But that was never my favorite episode. There was not enough for Spock to do in it. wink

[Linked Image]

Spock experiencing transporter troubles, if not troubles with tribbles or truffles!

Ann
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/11/08 07:39 PM
Ann, you're close enough. wink It's actually "Tribbles and Tribulations" an episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine -- which, in fact, basically puts the cast of DS9 on the Enterprise, in the past, during the events of "The Trouble with Tribbles"

...and it's got Dax swooning over Spock. hehehe! Which totally reminded me that I used to have a *huge* crush on Mr. Spock when I was 6 years old. *giggles* (I also loved cmdr. Koenig, from Space 1999 -- I guess I was a sci-fi fan real early on. haha!)
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/11/08 08:38 PM
The Trouble With Tribbles was the original Kirk and Spock episode - from 1967? Maybe, because I'm sitting here with "Star Trek: FotoNovel #3, The Trouble with Tribbles" in my hand. Copyright 1967, it says in the book. I had no idea about the Tribbles and Tribulations, however - I sort of dropped out of Star Trek after Spock was left behind.

And speaking about nothing, I googled "Spock" - and goodness, what pictures of some people's favorite Vulcan there appear to be out there!!! blush

Ann
Posted By: Classicalla Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 02:52 AM
Actually the name of the DS9 show was "Trials and Tribble-ations".

Me thinks Ann has a crush on Spock.

I used to have one on Kirk with Spock a close second - until I realized that the actors that played them were both older than my father. rotflol

In case you don't know, those 'guys' that played Spock and Kirk are the same age and will soon be 84.
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 05:20 AM
Denny ... Denny Crane laugh

IMDb gives his birth date as 1931

I never much cared for Kirk, but Denny Crane is hilarious (although I haven't seen much of this season.)

I'll just add again that I loved your story, Lara.

c.
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 08:25 AM
Oh man.... you know, it's really bad when I can manage to mess up my Star Trek puns. *lol* Good thing my friends don't know - they'd shun me. hehehe!

84? No... 77. wink And notice that Bill Shatner was born in Montreal, just btw. *giggles* (oh and yeah... Denny Crane! hahaha! love him!)
Posted By: Classicalla Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 11:45 AM
Hmm... How very interesting. I'm sure I read some where a long time ago that he was born in 1924. But things change in Hollywood. But then, too, Nancy could have a faulty memory.
Posted By: TOC Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 11:49 AM
Hmmm... that reminds me of something I read sometime during the 1980s, "Nancy Reagan has turned 61 again". rotflol

Maybe the old Star Trek heroes used to be born in 1924, but nowadays they were born in 1931, so that they are 77 again? rotflol

(And I'm sorry if this is getting a bit silly... blush )

Ann
Posted By: ccmalo Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 12:58 PM
lol - but Shatner has always been pretty open about his age - with his early history in the Canadian theatre and TV business it was hard not to be, I guess. It's a pretty small world up here. laugh

c.
Posted By: KathyM Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 01:07 PM
I too think that the 1931 birth year is right. Nancy is right that both Shatner and Nimoy were born in the same year. And during a 2nd season episode, Kirk said at one point "I'm 34 years old", and I know that was pretty close to his right age. Shatner would actually have been a couple of years older, but not already in his forties by then.

I'm not a particular fan of DS9, but I did love that time travel episode, especially the reference to the Klingon head ridges (or, rather, lack of them...)

Getting off of ST and back to L&C - this was a lovely story, Lara. I can so picture Lois saving the chocolate. I loved the whole thing, including

Guess again, Lois! rotflol Terrific stuff!

Kathy
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 04:21 PM
laugh Thanks Kathy!

Ann - "she turned 61 again", really? LOL! I guess that's like me saying I'm 18 with 20 years of experience.

You know... all this talk about tribbles... I was on my way home tonight and I realized I should have called this "The Trouble with Truffles".... And I'm totally kicking myself, now. That would have been a much better pun. *sigh* That's what I get for writing stories at 2AM and coming up with titles at 3. *giggles*
Posted By: Elisabeth Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/12/08 08:12 PM
No way. Trufflies and Tribulations is a way better title. It's close enough to trials and tribulations that it rolls off the tongue.

Elisabeth
Posted By: Classicalla Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/13/08 03:57 AM
I agree. Truffles and Tribulations is a way better title.

Hmm... I guess Shatner and Nimoy are older than my mom not my dad. Either way, I find that kind of weird...

Feedback (Real feedback)...

She froze in place, eyes wide, her smile disappearing instantaneously. She'd been caught - and she knew it. Damn that do-gooder partner of hers!
What a great line! I love this!!

I'm doing the chocolate a favor.
I’ll remember that the next time I’m tempted by chocolate.

Chocolate and Superman.
I won’t tell you what I’m thinking. blush

a shy smile tugging at his lips.
Aww... He’s so sweet.

That’s got to be one of the best revelations I’ve read. I love this story!!!
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 02/13/08 07:19 AM
*giggles* OK, I won't change it, then.

Nancy -- about that "chocolate and Superman" line, believe me when I say I was thinking the same thing. blush Thanks for the comments! Really made my morning!

And thanks again to everyone. I can't begin to tell you how happy it's made me to read your comments. sloppy
ok... I know I'm posting way way late... but Lara, PLEASE say you are continuing this! :p

Hi all!

-Breanna
Just to settle the Star Trek argument...

One of my prized possessions is a laserdisc (1) called Triple Tribble Trouble, which has all THREE (and yes, there were three) Star Trek tribble episodes on it. I just checked the sleeve to get the correct episode titles:

Side one has The Trouble With Tribbles and the first half of More Tribbles, More Troubles, the one everybody forgets - one of the animated episodes. It's OK, but not as good as its predecessor. Side two has the remainder of the animated episode and the DS9 episode Trials and Tribble-ations - note the hyphen.

As far as I know there has never been a DVD release, which is very odd.

(1) 12" double sided optical disk, looks like a giant CD, predecessor of DVDs, holds 45 minutes video per side. I got into them when they were just going out of use and it was possible to buy the disks incredibly cheaply. Still have a hundred or so around, though I'm gradually replacing the better ones with DVDs where available.

Later - just checked Wikipedia and there are apparently tribbles visible in the bar scene of Star Trek III: The Search for Spock and the evacuation scene of Star Trek Generations. Weird, considering they're still regarded as pests. They also turn up very briefly in an episode of Enterprise
Posted By: LaraMoon Re: FDK: Truffles and Tribulations (1/1) - 03/10/08 08:08 AM
Oh, right, there was a TAS episode with Tribbles. I'd definitely forgotten about that. Thanks for the info, Marcus!

...as for Tribbles popping up everywhere, at the rate they reproduce, I'm not surprised, really. *giggles* Oh, look! There's even one in my office:

[Linked Image]

Breanna - thank you for the comments! smile I'm not really sure how I could continue this, honestly. How about:

~.~.~

"Wait," Lois said, shaking her head. She tore open the small packet she held. Taking a truffle from it, she raised her hand to Clark's mouth. On his questioning look, she replied simply, "Open up."

He obliged, letting her feed him the chocolate, though his expression remained one of puzzlement.

"Chocolate and Superman," Lois explained with a grin, "now, you're completely irresistible."

~ The End? ~
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards