Lois & Clark Forums
Posted By: ShayneT Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 03:02 PM
Well, what do you think? Here's my take on the Superman United Challenge.
Posted By: Doranwen Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 03:12 PM
ROFL, loved it! Group therapy, indeed . . . just what some of them needed . . .
Posted By: Incognito Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 03:15 PM
*LOL* That was an interesting vignette, Shayne. I read it in full before I peeked into this thread, and I wasn't aware of the Supermen United challenge, but it was easy enough to catch on.

I'm only acquainted with three of the Clarks: L&C, Smallville and SR. And I actually thought Brandon Routh was good in the last. *g* But I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Smallville Clark's interjection about Lois made me laugh. And the reference to his Lana Lang obsession was spot on.

I liked your use of our Clark's POV on his counterparts, especially when he got to make this observation: They didn’t seem to understand that Superman was a man before he had ever been super.

All that, and a happy ending (I obviously am pulling for Lois and Clark on Smallville, too. wink ). Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Marcus Rowland Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 04:05 PM
Lovely - nice crossover.
Posted By: Ann Nonymous Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 04:20 PM
Shayne,

This was fun. I enjoyed seeing the stereotypes of the different versions of the characters play out, and especially enjoyed the little digs at the Smallville version of Clark. I wasn't quite sure if the black and white one was George Reeves or Kirk Alyn, but either way it was good. Thanks for the smile.

-Cindy (also unaware of the challenge)
Posted By: ccmalo Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 04:28 PM
enjoyed it, Shayne. smile

thanks

c.
Posted By: Karen Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 04:44 PM
I also liked all of the crossovers and the reactions. "Our" Clark's reaction to the other Clarks were great, and spot-on. Very interesting! laugh
Posted By: Anna B. the Greek Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 04:58 PM
Fun story, Shayne! Good job! And love the ending, it's very WAFFy - both the L&C and the Smallville endings, in fact.

It was nice reading this story and, although I'm not very familiar with some of the versions, I had no trouble understanding it - not to mention, appreciating the comparisons and everything.

Thank you for sharing this lovely fic smile

See ya,
AnnaBtG.
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 05:09 PM
This is brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. All of the different Clarks together with their different attitudes and views on life with the cape. It's interesting to see how each one describes their relationship with Lois. And you were so good at making us aware which Clark was which. Great ending, too. In short, love it!

He might have to slow down on the Twinkies.
LOL
Posted By: AnnieJ Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 05:21 PM
I thought it was great! I loved the multiple Superman angle. The description of the 2-dimentional cartoon being there was an interesting twist. I am a fan of Superman in any media, it was great to see them all together!

AnnieJ
Posted By: Joy Moony Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 06:17 PM
Clever and funny!! Thanks so much, Shayne. It was just what I needed.
Posted By: TOC Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 08:01 PM
I have absurdly little time to write FDK, but I must say your story was delightful! What a menagerie of Supermen! There was the cartoon Superman who disappeared when you looked at him sideways, the black and white Superman who was a bit heavy around the jowl (yeah, wasn't he), the perfect tall blue-eyed Superman (ah, Christopher Reeve), the expressionless Superman (yeah!) who made Lois pregnant without revealing his Clark Kent identity to her and then left her for five years, the sullen teenager Clark who always screwed up and who couldn't understand what the others saw in Lois, and finally our Clark, to whom this website is dedicated, along with his Lois. I loved that we got to see them together, and that we got to see how they wondered about some of the choices their counterparts had made.

I loved, too, that they were set free after they had had a chance to talk to one another. Group therapy, indeed. Their talk certainly helped Smallville's teenager. Now maybe he, too, can see that Lois is the girl for him!

Original. Beautiful. Lovely. Subtly mindboggling. What a beautiful comment on - the passage of time, perhaps? All these Supermen were captured in a cube which was caught in the time stream. But all these Supermen were from different times, too, reflecting changing ideals and preferences that have been prevalent in the United States from the very early 1950s and onwards. (Am I the only one who is longing for the good old mid-nineties, where "our" Clark is from?)

But for every Superman there was, and is, still a constant. And that is Lois.

I completely loved it, Shayne.

Ann
Posted By: Shadow Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 08:48 PM
Oh, that made me laugh!

“Lana Lang is the love of my life,” the teenager said stubbornly. “I don’t care what you say.”
Gag me with a stick, Clark.

Anyway, goofy I'm convinced now that superheroes need group therapy.

Jen
Posted By: Laurach Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 09:02 PM
All the different versions of Superman. Cute idea. Nice ending. Laura
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/03/06 09:51 PM
Ah, Shayne, what a wonderful story! You can't see it, but I'm smiling broadly. laugh

I love the two dimensional Superman. Oh, that's so funny.

Okay, the black and white man is George Reeve.

The tall one is Christopher Reeves.

The expressionless man is Brandon Routh.

The one married to Lois is Dean Cain.

And the teenager is Tom Welling. Hey, maybe you can join me in armtwisting a producer or two into getting it right on Smallville. I so hope Lois and Clark finally get together on that show. Pretty silly producers, though, if you ask me. They didn't even know Annette O'Toole played Lana Lang in one of the movies until she told them.

And you threw in Buffy's Anyanka, too. (You might want to explain that one, though, since I imagine many readers have to clue who you are talking about.)

Loved this story. I'm still smiling... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rcpeaches2 Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 06:23 AM
Very cute story. I'm only really familiar with LnC's version of Clark, but I have a basic knowledge of the other Supermen, so I was able to figure it out. I've never seen Smallville, so I was surprised to learn that Clark doesn't like Lois in that incarnation... Interesting.

Rose
Posted By: MrsMosley Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 07:11 AM
Just re-read this story, still love it.

And in this world it started, as it had in all the others. For every Clark there was a Lois, for every Lois, a Clark.

The universe hummed its contentment.
So wonderfully WAFFy and satisfying.

And you threw in Buffy's Anyanka, too. (You might want to explain that one, though, since I imagine many readers have to clue who you are talking about.)
It's true that I didn't realize this was an existing character from another show. However, I understood her purpose in this story.

thumbsup
Posted By: Terry Leatherwood Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 09:24 AM
Shayne, this was cute, insightful, funny, and touching all at once. Now you need to put all of those Lois Lanes in a white room and let them talk to each other. That might be even more revealing, although you might have to put each one in a separate compartment complete with force fields. Otherwise a couple of them might not survive!

So, when do we get to read that story?
Posted By: Cornelia Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 11:22 AM
The teenager spoke for the first time. “I don’t understand why you all seem to be obsessed with Lois Lane. If she’s anything like my Lois, she’s pigheaded, arrogant, determined, obsessive and annoying.”

For once, Clark found himself nodding in unison with the other four men in the room. “Danger prone too.”
laugh laugh laugh Great! I loved it!
The only one of them I had problems to identify was the black and white one, because I´ve never seen the movie with George Reeves.

Just one question. From which time did you take the comic book Superman? Must be Silver Age, because since 1996 he´s also married to Lois.
Posted By: jojo_da_crow Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 11:59 AM
Great job Shayne! smile I like what you've done here. laugh It was fun to see all the Clarks together and I see you worked out the feasible solution on how they got into the white room. It was totally different than I was expecting but worked really well. smile

Thanks for sharing it with us. ^_^
Posted By: ChiefPam Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 01:48 PM
Brilliant, Shayne.

I've sent a copy to my husband, too -- he very rarely reads fanfic but I think he'll like this one; he loves comparing different versions.

And personally, I think Smallville ought to get together with Chloe... why be bound by tradition? goofy

But that wouldn't fit nearly so well with the rest of this story, so never mind wink

PJ
Posted By: mmprincess Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 04:37 PM
Your take on Smallville's Clark was a blast. clap
Posted By: ChaaBreh Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 05:19 PM
That was really adorable!!

Here's what I think about Chloe (sorry but someone mentioned her)....Lucy Lane is going to die and Chloe's going to change her name to Lucy Lane (who just happened to date Jimmy Olsen in the comics...)

Anyway, very creative writing, I thoroughly enjoyed it!
Posted By: ShayneT Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 09:47 PM
Wow. I'm flattered by the response to this.

First, Cornelia, to clear up a misconception...the cartoon Clark isn't from the comic books. He's from the TV series Superman the animated series. Here's the wikipedia article about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superman:_The_Animated_Series

As for the black and white version, it was the George Reeve version, Cindy.

Ann, I should mention that your post in the Superman United thread, about having a black and white Superman fly in was the seed of inspiration for this story. Thanks smile

Terry, the Lois Lanes in a room story idea is a little scary. I might try it sometimes though...

Thanks to everyone! Thanks Doranwen, Chris, Marcus, Cindy, Carol, Karen, Anna, Elisabeth, Annie, Joy, Ann, Jen, Laura, Classicala, Terry, Cornelia, Jojo, Pam, Mmprincess, and Chris.
Posted By: Classicalla Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/04/06 11:18 PM
Oh, Terry, your idea was great. Can you imagine the Lois Lane from The Adventures of Superman talkiing to the Lois from Lois and Clark: The New Advutures of Superman? Woa... What an eye opener for Phyllis Coates or Noell Neil.

Hey, Chief Pam, I'd love to see Smallville's Clark at least give Chloe a chance even if she doesn't end up with him for good. Well, ChaaBreh, Chloe has already lost her virginity to Jimmy in Smallville - might as well date him.

By the way, Cornelia, George Reeve starred in the tv show The Adventures of Superman in the 1950's. Considering the time period in which it was made, the special effects aren't bad at all.
Posted By: In4Adventure Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/05/06 02:05 AM
Shayne, this was great! Never having been all that interested in Superman other than LnC, I could still follow the story and figure out who was who. Brilliant idea!

Natascha
Posted By: JenniJac Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/06/06 06:25 AM
I really love this fic, it is awesome! I thought the digs at Smallville Clark were especially funny! (But that could be because I haven't seen the others...)
Posted By: Mister Data Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/06/06 07:16 AM
What a perfect way of accomplishing this, with Anya! And I loved D'Hoffryn apology.

I loved the interaction and everyone of them was spot on.

I can't wait to see your Lois room. How about a Perry or a Jimmy room, or maybe Jonathan or Martha Kent room?

James
Posted By: groobie Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 09/06/06 09:29 PM
I'm way, WAY, behind on my fanfic reading, but the title caught my attention. (I wasn't aware of the challenge in advance.) I just had to pop in and say that this was fabulous! Great characterizations and interractions. I love that you let the audience interpret who was who rather than explaining it all. And as a Buffy fan, I squealed with delight when I saw that Anya had a part in all of this! Brilliant! Truely brilliant! thumbsup Susan
Posted By: kateydidnt Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 10/02/06 10:58 PM
Originally posted by groobie:
And as a Buffy fan, I squealed with delight when I saw that Anya had a part in all of this! Brilliant! Truely brilliant! thumbsup Susan
Ditto! I started laughing hysterically when I realized it was Anya and then the apology because Anya isn't supposed to grant alien wishes? Fantastic!

I loved seeing them all interact! *snort* Smallville!Clark's observations on Lois. *snort*

Great job.
Posted By: ShayneT Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 10/04/06 09:34 PM
Wow. I didn't know that anyone was still reading this. Thanks for the feedback!
Posted By: DSDragon Re: Comments: Group Therapy - 10/16/06 06:30 PM
I just read the fic, and since I started to be active on the boards AFTER the challenge, I have no idea what the challenge was about.

But I LOVED the fic! And Anya brought back memories of when I was still a BtVS fan--which, granted, was up until about a year after the show quit, but still.
© Lois & Clark Fanfic Message Boards